First trip to McBride

Anzac RZR

Reaction score
Hey all,Got the first trip of the year booked goin to McBride Dec 28 to Jan 1. I have never been there before . Staying at NV cabins. And yes I am bringing a BBQ. Any info I should know about that area before I go?The guys tell me they sled just up from the cabin. Anything about the snow conditions , terrain,or avalanche risk in that area a newbie to McBride should know.Any info would be great

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it your first trip talk to Barry at Mountain Haven B&B. He is part of SAR and knows his sh!t. I would suggest spending time on Welcome to avalanche.ca and learn current snow conditions. You could also whip into Spindrift and Glen will help as well. Belle is a good place to start if your new. Renshaw has a lot to offer for less risk, not saying you can't find trouble there just a good place as well. Ask Barry or Glen how to get into the Anthills less chance of you getting into the wrong place there. Good people there just ask and you will receive.

One question. First time to the hill or first time in McBride.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You arent able to ride from the cabins at nv to any of the three main hills that are groomed. You will have a great time in our little town. If nothing else stop in at the shop and say hi, it's always great meetin new people.

p.summit

Reaction score
I will be at Mcbride 30-1st staying at the cougar den, will be riding lucille if you want to meet up..

Anzac RZR

Reaction score
Was at Allen creek and chapel last year but still pretty new. I have never been to McBride. The guys I am going with said they sled up from NV so I just figured they were on the way to the hill.Any idea where they are going to take me?I spoke to one of the guys that went last year . He said fromNV they sledded up to the cabin . He said his wife could watch them from the cabin all day.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was at Allen creek and chapel last year but still pretty new. I have never been to McBride. The guys I am going with said they sled up from NV so I just figured they were on the way to the hill.Any idea where they are going to take me?I spoke to one of the guys that went last year . He said fromNV they sledded up to the cabin . He said his wife could watch them from the cabin all day.

I dont have a clue where they would be riding if they rode from the cabins at nv..

mason1000

Reaction score
That's where I am staying I would also like to know where they rode and if it was any good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they would be riding lucile, you cant really see people riding other then where they are riding. As Glen said you cant ride from NV and that pretty much is that. It is AGAINST town law to ditch bang, is'nt it?

Last edited:

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anzac, your post is abit confusing, the part about sled'n above cabin. are you sled'n behind nv and if so there are no managed trails there. need info pm me.
Barry

Anzac RZR

Reaction score
Ok I have been informed.They plan to got to renshew. I now know that you can't sled from the cabins and have to trailer he sleds.Now I am a little concerned , we are bringing the kids and my little guy is only two. A 30 k run up the hill don't seem like a good time with one hand on the boy and one on the throttle . They did say that they sled pretty close to the cabin . But i am still concerned what mommy and boy will have to do around the cabin and how safe it will be.So I would like some feedback , maybe going to belle would be better. If someone want to join us . I really want to go sledding I just want to be real about my wife very limo Ted sledding ability and the safety of my boy.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I have been informed.They plan to got to renshew. I now know that you can't sled from the cabins and have to trailer he sleds.Now I am a little concerned , we are bringing the kids and my little guy is only two. A 30 k run up the hill don't seem like a good time with one hand on the boy and one on the throttle . They did say that they sled pretty close to the cabin . But i am still concerned what mommy and boy will have to do around the cabin and how safe it will be.So I would like some feedback , maybe going to belle would be better. If someone want to join us . I really want to go sledding I just want to be real about my wife very limo Ted sledding ability and the safety of my boy.
sent you a pm but will put some of it in public forum. 30 km from the parking lot is a long way with a child if something goes wrong up top. would choose belle as it is 11 km and a much more family friendly enviroment, not as many hardcore guys and gals, new cabin and the wife and kids can watch you play on little belle right from the deck of the cabin. also cellphone works around the cabin as well. if i am at home and you run into trouble we can be there in under an hour. just my 2 cents worth.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Barry Your a good man, but let me say this. I don't take lightly to my family safety, and would not consider taking an infant into the back country. I'm not giving you direction only advice, you seem like you are new to mountains and the area you choose and these kind of adventures should not be takin lightly. Listen to Barry he is a good friend and really cares about your safety. He will not steer you wrong. Enjoy the day--------ride for life.

kefremdad

Reaction score
sent you a pm but will put some of it in public forum. 30 km from the parking lot is a long way with a child if something goes wrong up top. would choose belle as it is 11 km and a much more family friendly enviroment, not as many hardcore guys and gals, new cabin and the wife and kids can watch you play on little belle right from the deck of the cabin. also cellphone works around the cabin as well. if i am at home and you run into trouble we can be there in under an hour. just my 2 cents worth.

bbtoys is right on the money.. I have pics of myself on Belle mt when I was a tot, (albeit 35 or so years ago) A warm cabin, tobaggans and a BBQ on the deck of the cabin make for a great outdoors experience for the whole family!!!!! And yes if you run into trouble we have a core group of locals who are ready to help out if there's any trouble.. Have a great trip here with your family!!!!!

Anzac RZR

Reaction score
First off I would really thank you all for your input. It just goes to show how well this forum works. Secondly it goes to prove the good peeps that are part of this little snow and mud .What can I expect on belle ? There must be some good areas and powder.If anyone wants to join me for a few days on belle and bring the kid I am sure we could make a good time of it.I am really looking forward to sledding, currently I have lost 120 pounds since last season so the 700 dragon should be a little more peppy . I don't want to cancel the trip but if all my buddies are at renshaw sledding by myself won't much fun

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There will be lots of people in town between christmas and new years , so i highly doubt you will end up riding by yourself. Also my son will be making his first trip up the mtn this winter and he turns 18months old later this month, that being said when he goes up it'll probably be on family day and it'll just be a putt up the trail to the cabin and let him play around the cabin with the rest of the kids. Because me like any other dad out there i'm sure doesn't want to put there kids in any danger. Like bbtoys said on belle there is cell coberage if something were to go wrong and i gaurantee you that there is alot of locals that wouldbe there asap an hour max to help. You also get cell service at the top of big baldy on lucielle. You will have a great time in our little town. The little town with a huge heart.:cool:

Reactions: oly
Top Bottom