Figure it'll last me the season?

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Tore a chunk and a strip out of my xm's 163 track two weekends ago. I've ridden nearly 4 full days on it since then and haven't noticed any cracks growing. Figure it will last me the season? (I'm picking up a new takeoff tonight but am lady and was gonna tear down the sled this summer anyways)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389217533493.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389217533493.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 368
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389217543990.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389217543990.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 369
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389217560269.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389217560269.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 372
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389217585520.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389217585520.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 366

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
As you can see, the strip came off the inside, just rubber, the whole way round the track. Not too worried about it.

The chunk is about 3/4" into the track, I've trimmed back the paddles and rounded the edges of the chunk. I drilled out the ends of the cracks in the paddles, and they'll progress upwards through the paddles anyways.

Looking for anyone who had a similar chunk missing and how long it lasted till she grenaded on you.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Take a small torch and melt the chords at the edges of the track just to protect the cords inside from getting saturated too much... Lotsa guys do this, as it looks better than having chords hanging out anyway... It does work, just don't get the track too hot, just enough to melt the chords into the track(it will seal), and then ride it like you stole it.... had a track that was a lot worse than that and it lasted a whole season :)

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Did the melting trick to the cords,
I found the track replacement procedure on youtube. Looks easy but I'd have to buy that puller.
Figure it would take me 4-6 hours as a first timer on track swaps. How long has it taken you guys?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2-3 hrs. Grab a can of silicone spray and hose the inside if the track and drivers. Makes it easier for pulling the shaft down and out of the chain case and vice versa. Key thing is just watch the chain case seal when slipping the shaft in and out.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't run that track. If it comes apart at full throttle it could take out your whole skid. That could cost you big time. If that happens in the mountains you could add a chopper ride to the cost. If you have a track sitting in the garage anyways change it. First time and by your self you should be able to do the swap in a couple hours.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't run a track that looked like that, jmo. I think that there is a chance of too much vibration to throw things out of whack..... I've never changed a track on a XM, but I'm in Cowtown too and would be willing to give you a hand.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Swap out that track. I did a couple of them. They aren't too bad, you will probably have to grind that puller though..

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd change it. While it doesn't look like anything else would let loose, if a chunk ever did let go at trail speed, it could leave a good mark, or take out part of your cooler. You don't need a puller to do this. It can aily be done without it but the puller makes it easier. A second se t of hands helps,but I've done one myself quite a few times in under 2 hours. Be careful with the chaincase bolts The mag chaincase is very easy to strip.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll split a puller with you... I'm sure at some point I'll be pulling off the track on mine.

let me know when you wanna change it and I'll come give you a hand. Use your sled as a test dummy... I'll bring a flat a beer

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll split a puller with you... I'm sure at some point I'll be pulling off the track on mine.

let me know when you wanna change it and I'll come give you a hand. Use your sled as a test dummy... I'll bring a flat a beer
Well I will come for moral support and for chits n giggles. You should put tat S module in at the same time.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I will come for moral support and for chits n giggles. You should put tat S module in at the same time.

ya maybe run the garage heater, it would suck to get cold toes....

Top Bottom