Fernie - Wrangler Cabin & Notch

swift1

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

We're heading up to Fernie this weekend. I'm tagging along with some people that have been going up there for years. Since I've never been up there and a newbie I'm not sure what too expect and a bit reluctant with all the avi / snow slide reports I hear. It sounds like there is alot of snow up there.

They're saying that we'll stage at Morrissey or Coal Creek, then ride to Wrangler Cabin?, then head up to the Notch? If anyone could provide with some information on where NOT to go and where it is safe to go, I would very much appreciate it as I have a great deal of respect for Mother Nature and want to avoid any dangerous areas at all cost. Is there a pass or a logging road you travel on, what's the pipeline or powerline?

Any input is greatly appreciated it. Thanks!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

We're heading up to Fernie this weekend. I'm tagging along with some people that have been going up there for years. Since I've never been up there and a newbie I'm not sure what too expect and a bit reluctant with all the avi / snow slide reports I hear. It sounds like there is alot of snow up there.

They're saying that we'll stage at Morrissey or Coal Creek, then ride to Wrangler Cabin?, then head up to the Notch? If anyone could provide with some information on where NOT to go and where it is safe to go, I would very much appreciate it as I have a great deal of respect for Mother Nature and want to avoid any dangerous areas at all cost. Is there a pass or a logging road you travel on, what's the pipeline or powerline?

Any input is greatly appreciated it. Thanks!

The snow in the area is great! The pipeline and the powerline are just that but they are pretty much rode out albeit you can find some safe spots in the trees beside the pipeline that have great untracked snow. No problem getting to the Wrangler's Cabin as it is a groomed logging road all the way and Morrissey is the better staging area as the trail in is shorter and smoother.

The knowledgable local guys are pretty much staying to the trees and doing their climbing in the trees this year. Not so for the eastern riders as they are having a hard time understanding the PWL (persistant weak layer). I don't have recent info on the Notch (as I have only been in the trees) but I wouldn't be climbing.

I have given you a post from Dobir that you can read and attached a picture. The picture was taken Friday (Feb. 27) while grooming the Coal Creek Summit. I had many to choose from but this little one really makes a point. This as a natural little avy but what would have come down by a human trigger? I will wait until next year and in the mean time the trees are just lovely and a real challenge, thank you.

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f186/notch-avalanche-today-11215.html

Top Bottom