fernie update

wodge99

Reaction score
So how is the snow there? tryin to figure out which way to head on monday and cant find G. Hills number, lol thanx and home mm was good

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i went up sledding to fernie last year and we unloaded just east of fernie wheres this coal creek staging area from there do you just keep going past? and one more question this new trail to the wranglers cabin when you hit that hair pin turn that goes to the rolling hills do you just keep going straight instead of taking that hair pin turn is it signed good? i remember last year we tryed going straight to get to the wranglers cabin but we couldnt get to it.
were coming up at the end of feb i hope the snows good cause here we have no snow i havent drove my sled yet this winter i cant wait to come to fernie
thanks

Yah just keep headin straight on that trail.. Then u will hit a fork an there is a sign on a tree in the middle that says wranglers cabin.. Go left an follow that trail right to the cabin.. There is signs the whole way

Sent from a phone likely at work

rig16

Reaction score
Hey there scotthw when r u planning on heading out to fernie? Were from moose jaw and a couple or a few of us are heading there Feb.16 till about the 19t we could all hook up

Scotthw

Reaction score
Yah just keep headin straight on that trail.. Then u will hit a fork an there is a sign on a tree in the middle that says wranglers cabin.. Go left an follow that trail right to the cabin.. There is signs the whole way

ok thanks ya last year when we tryed to find it were almost there but we could see the loging road but couldnt get down and when we turned around there so many sled tracks through there we ended up getting a bit lost lol

Scotthw

Reaction score
Hey there scotthw when r u planning on heading out to fernie? Were from moose jaw and a couple or a few of us are heading there Feb.16 till about the 19t we could all hook up
were going the last week in feb/ first week in march to bad we will just miss you guys thats funny to see someone else from moose jaw im going to SIAST there so i live in moose jaw during the week

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok thanks ya last year when we tryed to find it were almost there but we could see the loging road but couldnt get down and when we turned around there so many sled tracks through there we ended up getting a bit lost lol

O u were so close lol.. Cross the loggin road an its another maybe half a km lol

Scotthw

Reaction score
O u were so close lol.. Cross the loggin road an its another maybe half a km lol

haha ya i know we were i have been down the pipeline and to the wranglers cabin when we go quadding in the summer but we stay at in on the boarder in the summer

teddybear26x

Reaction score
IS there anything left of the trail going to wranglers? My dad is coming down on tuesday and wants to go back there but he can't handle the long go of whoops anymore. Bad knees on the old man. Just curious if there will be a full groom monday night? if not thats cool I'll have to to take him somewhere else.
I heard and see everything went well FernieSnow ( doug) congrats on a job well done. Just wish I could have joined you guys. Thanx for the info in advance.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
IS there anything left of the trail going to wranglers? My dad is coming down on tuesday and wants to go back there but he can't handle the long go of whoops anymore. Bad knees on the old man. Just curious if there will be a full groom monday night? if not thats cool I'll have to to take him somewhere else.
I heard and see everything went well FernieSnow ( doug) congrats on a job well done. Just wish I could have joined you guys. Thanx for the info in advance.

I don't know how whooped it was after Sunday, but it will be groomed Monday night. We will be back on schedule (Mondays and Fridays) and maybe Wednesday's if required. This week the plan is to doo Hartley on Wednesday and Coal Creek to the cabin on Monday and Friday. We'll get 'er back in shape.

Remember to pick up your memberships and/or trail passes so we can keep putting fuel in the SnowCat.....

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know how whooped it was after Sunday, but it will be groomed Monday night. We will be back on schedule (Mondays and Fridays) and maybe Wednesday's if required. This week the plan is to doo Hartley on Wednesday and Coal Creek to the cabin on Monday and Friday. We'll get 'er back in shape.

Remember to pick up your memberships and/or trail passes so we can keep putting fuel in the SnowCat.....

I take it there is enuf snow now so u won't hit stumps with the groomer on the new trail?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I take it there is enuf snow now so u won't hit stumps with the groomer on the new trail?

This is a work in progress. It is not like grooming a forestry road with ditches and such. There are stumps just off to the side, so pulling snow onto the trail to build it up is a delicate job. We have pulled the mogul master through 3 times now and each time it gets better. Sure a lot of people using it by the whoops and that is a great sign. Tembec (logging company) should be happy and that is very important as it is their land.

We are happy that we got some snow to make the grooming better; now some colder weather to get the frost into it would really help.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
90% of the issue is not the groomer capabilities or the operator competency... it's the dicks who feel the need to get 0 to mach-chicken in 3 seconds after each corner.... We stopped on the side of the trail saturday morning for some sled inspection, group photo and a breakfast beer and the trail up to that point had been nice and smooth (we averaged 70km/h up to that point and not once was my throttle to the bar). while stopped I'd guess about 50 sleds passed us, those who even bothered to slow down were right back to pinned throttle as soon as they were by us creating big mounds and pits and effectively destroyed a nicely groomed trail as the rest of our ride up was chit... We all like to put it to the bar but have some respect for the groomed trail and other users. when we showed up first thing friday morning we were informed that the trail had not been groomed in a few days but guess what??? it was still a nice fairly smooth ride up, by the time the day was done the trail was so bad I'd have paid for a whirlybird to come fly me and my sled down to the parking lot...
We have all day on open hills and meadows to ride like azzholes why does everyone have to do it on the trail too???

Thanks Doug for doing what you do and then have to put up with the bitchin and complaining to boot....

This is a work in progress. It is not like grooming a forestry road with ditches and such. There are stumps just off to the side, so pulling snow onto the trail to build it up is a delicate job. We have pulled the mogul master through 3 times now and each time it gets better. Sure a lot of people using it by the whoops and that is a great sign. Tembec (logging company) should be happy and that is very important as it is their land.

We are happy that we got some snow to make the grooming better; now some colder weather to get the frost into it would really help.

Last edited:

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yah I don't know the first thing about grooming.. Just wat I've read on here which is u need colder weather an that there are alot of ppl that whine about trail conditions lol.. Appreciate what u guys do for us

teddybear26x

Reaction score

Sounds great. I'm sure my dad will love you for that. Already bought his pass today and of course my membership was bought at the very beginning.
I just got a new schedule for work so I have mondays off all day and wednesday off till I have to pick the wife up at 10:30pm. So what I'm saying is if you ever want a hand or some company feel free to call me or send me an e-mail and I will try my best to come out and help. Even if I have to ride out to meet you for a few hours I can do that as well. Just let me know. Just want to do my part. Can't remember if it was you that said the younger generation is getting lazy but bitch about everything, but I DON'T want to fall into that category, so anytime. I'll PM you my number.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds great. I'm sure my dad will love you for that. Already bought his pass today and of course my membership was bought at the very beginning.
I just got a new schedule for work so I have mondays off all day and wednesday off till I have to pick the wife up at 10:30pm. So what I'm saying is if you ever want a hand or some company feel free to call me or send me an e-mail and I will try my best to come out and help. Even if I have to ride out to meet you for a few hours I can do that as well. Just let me know. Just want to do my part. Can't remember if it was you that said the younger generation is getting lazy but bitch about everything, but I DON'T want to fall into that category, so anytime. I'll PM you my number.

Nice!!! Dont see apost like this many times. Good for you for offering to help. This recreation activity needs more young people to get involved to keep this going. Your city wont do it,the government wont do it,its up to us the users to do it with the help of the other users and volunteers to make it happen. Sure hope you get a trip in the groomer. It sure changes the way you treat the trail when riding after you do a 8 hr. groom.

KME

Reaction score
Any updates on snow conditions?? Thinking of Friday ride out of coal creek?

Cheers -

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Any updates on snow conditions?? Thinking of Friday ride out of coal creek?

Cheers -

12" or 30 cm of fresh at the Coal Summit. It is nice. Won't groom until Thursday night as that is the coldest night of the week in the forecast.

Once again, rain and warm night time temps have screwed up our grooming schedule. friggin' rain.....

• Thanks
Reactions: KME
Top Bottom