fernie update

guido88gt

Reaction score
Keeps us formed of how much snow.. The ski hill is forecasting like 30 cm for the next couple of days...Thanks

Solar6402

Reaction score
Fernie snow, thank you for your guidance to wranglers cabin....we hhad a good day. Where is coal summit from the cabin, we rode the pipeline a bit and had some fun in the trees (going slow to avoid the dreaded stump repair).

Thanks again for the guidance and grooming. We did stop in and get our trail passes and maps at Ghost Riders. The snow is so minimal in MT, we are enjoying Fernie!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Fernie snow, thank you for your guidance to wranglers cabin....we hhad a good day. Where is coal summit from the cabin, we rode the pipeline a bit and had some fun in the trees (going slow to avoid the dreaded stump repair).

Thanks again for the guidance and grooming. We did stop in and get our trail passes and maps at Ghost Riders. The snow is so minimal in MT, we are enjoying Fernie!

The Coal Summit is behind the pilings for the new cabin. So as you enter the Rolling hills, it is on the right. Large open area that is an old burn with real big stumps.

Glad you had a good day, fs

LeafRider

Reaction score
Is there any recent updates to the riding, trail, and avalanche conditions for the ride from Coal Creek to Wrangler's Cabin? Even anything this week as we're headed out on the 7th and 8th. If anyone wants to connect with 3 other riders for a nice safe ride let me know. Thanks.

feeze95

Reaction score
LeafRider,
We were out yesterday and rode corbin and the snow was awesome got back into the trees and the snow was incrediable. The avalanche conditions are very high as high temperatures and heavy snow have increased the risk. Look out for those 30 degree slopes because they are the ones that slide. From talking to the locals, the trail is not in good enough condition to groom from coal creek to wranglers but should get better as the weather cools off! Remember the grooming is all volunteer and they are riders too, so if the trails are bad its because the conditions are not good enough to groom and grooming would only make it worse. Have fun and ride safe!!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A double groom on the Coal Creek trail Monday night and it snowed all the way to town from the Summit. Should be awesome for the early risers tomorrow. We will get that trail in shape as we will doo another groom on Wed. and Friday. Could even be like old times and be "baby butt smooth".......

teddybear26x

Reaction score
Went out today Doug and the trail from the staging area to the new cabin was awesome. The new trail to wranglers was a kidney shaker but was ok at the right speed. Keep up the great work. I saw how much work you guys have done out there and just wanted to tip my hat and say thank you to you and the other volunteers. Thanx

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks man! The newer section of the trail will require more snow to get it in shape as the trail bed is at the top of a lot of stumps. It is a work in progress, hahaha

Maybe the first positive grooming comment that I've heard this year! Thanks again.....

Solar6402

Reaction score
Most of us know you work hard at it and do the best you can with what you have. Thank you for your sfforts!!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Last night, while grooming, I was thinking about the conditions of the trail; solid ice to begin with, then wet snow on top of the ice which reminded me of a slurppee, then hard crusty snow that comes out of the mogul master in chunks, and finally at the top, nice moist powder that makes a groomer proud.

We better get some snow soon or we will be riding in the dirt. La Nina and a cold winter my arse!

The trail held up great from the groom on Monday. There were the traditional corners that were pounded but overall it was still in fine shape. Last nights groom will hold for another groom on Friday and the temps are supposed to start to drop. We may get some frost into the trail yet.

There was 4" or 10 cm of fresh at the Coal Summit.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Another groom last night.....3 times this week! The main trail is baby butt smooth. The bottom has a few bumps (up to Matheson) as one can't groom ice, the rest is awesome. The new trail through the Rolling Hills is rough. We are making a plan and will get something done before next weekend. We need some snow on top of the stumps so we don't snag the blade every 20'.

For an up-dated grooming report and conditions report go to:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another groom last night.....3 times this week! The main trail is baby butt smooth. The bottom has a few bumps (up to Matheson) as one can't groom ice, the rest is awesome. The new trail through the Rolling Hills is rough. We are making a plan and will get something done before next weekend. We need some snow on top of the stumps so we don't snag the blade every 20'.

For an up-dated grooming report and conditions report go to:

Thats gotta be hard on the groomer and blade hooking those stumps to. I bet the groomer floor is saturated with Timmies and garlic shrimp as well. Lol.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thats gotta be hard on the groomer and blade hooking those stumps to. I bet the groomer floor is saturated with Timmies and garlic shrimp as well. Lol.

No way man! One could drive that thing with white socks and not get them dirty, lol

It is a slow creep through that trail right now, so it better snow soon.

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi FS, I am wondering about wondering about Morriesy? How far are they driving in?

BTW we think you groomers rock! :D

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fernie i'm a comin down there on the 18th ya better get on the snow dance. fire up the muff pot shrimp. i got a few cold ones.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hi FS, I am wondering about wondering about Morriesy? How far are they driving in?

BTW we think you groomers rock! :D

cat girl.....Morrissey has been closed for the second year now! Please don't use it our riding areas depend on it.

All staging is done through Coal Creek for the Rolling Hills and the Notch. You can access the back side of the Coal Summit but please don't use the plowed road to get to the Wrangler's cabin.

We have a new trail through the Rolling Hills that crosses the logging road at 90 degrees. It is 5 km long and it is rough but we are working on it. The groomer will go through on Wed of this week and clean it
up but we need more snow to get it baby butt smooth.

Coal Creek access is from about 4-5 kms out of town past the dump and the rifle range. If you have any questions, I'm here most of the day.

View attachment Coal Creek staging area map.pdf

Rooling Hills corridor.jpg

Last edited:

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks FS, we did know that but it was forgotten as we did not make it down to Fernie at all last year. Any fresh stuff coming down?? We heard some rain in town but I am hoping for some fresh stuff as my 15 yo is borrowing my new sled this weekend to go riding with his Dad..I think I get Mom of the year for that one ;)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks FS, we did know that but it was forgotten as we did not make it down to Fernie at all last year. Any fresh stuff coming down?? We heard some rain in town but I am hoping for some fresh stuff as my 15 yo is borrowing my new sled this weekend to go riding with his Dad..I think I get Mom of the year for that one ;)

If it's raining in the valley, one knows it's snow up top. Funny how that works, eh!

Top Bottom