fernie update

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
No new snow but it was snowing in the Rolling Hills today. We have started working on the new trail through the Rolling Hills with the SnowCat. We need snow and the Coal Creek trail is starting
to get moguls. The lower part in the valley bottom is smooth as we have ice for a base with a little snow on top. We will be out with the SnowCat again on Tuesday and get another section done.

A work in progress guys, so bear with us for a week or two.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Doug, we road from coalcreek yesturday! I think I saw your truck parked there also. I was very surprised how good the trail up was, should have a great setup and base for the year! There was two of us and we road untouched powder in the trees all day, have a couple spots we always check out and it was great! I will be in Fernie from the 24th till the 9th of Jan. If you need someone to tag along on the groomer I would be in! Maybe bring one of my daughters along? The trail that you guys have been working on into the rolling hills looks great now we just need some more snow! As always great work!

feeze95

Reaction score
one last question for you ferniesnow,
Where abouts does the new trail go through, we are coming up this weekend and i was wondering what to expect in terms of the new trail?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
one last question for you ferniesnow,
Where abouts does the new trail go through, we are coming up this weekend and i was wondering what to expect in terms of the new trail?

I missed this yesterday, sorry.

If you start at the Coal Creek staging area go up Coal Creek FSR until you come to Paiges Draw (sign) and continue straight. You will climb and reach the Coal Summit.
There is a fork in the road (straight ahead or to the right) and go straight ahead. In about 400m, on the right you will see some piles up in the air supported with a bunch of 2x4's. continue straight for
another 500m and you will find two 16"x16" Danger signs. that is the beginning of the new trail. It is rideable to the height of land but watch for the occasional stump.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I missed this yesterday, sorry.

If you start at the Coal Creek staging area go up Coal Creek FSR until you come to Paiges Draw (sign) and continue straight. You will climb and reach the Coal Summit.
There is a fork in the road (straight ahead or to the right) and go straight ahead. In about 400m, on the right you will see some piles up in the air supported with a bunch of 2x4's. continue straight for
another 500m and you will find two 16"x16" Danger signs. that is the beginning of the new trail. It is rideable to the height of land but watch for the occasional stump.

So does it go straight through Rolling hills to the pipeline from Paiges Draw? I guess straight East?

Guess we'll have to head out Saturday and see~

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
might be heading up Dec. 30 and 31....MAYBE
keep us in the loop w conditions Doug

spose to snow next week quite a bit hey??

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So does it go straight through Rolling hills to the pipeline from Paiges Draw? I guess straight East?

Guess we'll have to head out Saturday and see~

Do very many roads go straight in the mountains? It goes south easterly towards the pipeline.

I should be in the SnowCat on Saturday and maybe Sunday so all you peeps better show your respect and stop and chat. :xmas2004_15:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do very many roads go straight in the mountains? It goes south easterly towards the pipeline.

I should be in the SnowCat on Saturday and maybe Sunday so all you peeps better show your respect and stop and chat. :xmas2004_15:

If you go fast enough everything feels like it is going straight :)

We'll watch for ya

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
let us know the conditions,,

I am working saturday now but I may have tuesday open for a ride,,, I need to get out,,,

Well snow in the trees is still good, although we trashed as much of Rolling Hills as we could. Low lying areas were filled with snow, anything higher was wind blown.

Did the new trail on the way out, I swear it was less than 10 minutes from Wranglers to PaigesDraw on Coal Cr. 2-3 feet of snow on it and wow, it'll make for quick access rather than the old goat trail we used in the past to pick our way through. The crew were working hard to clear stumps and shorten limbs all day. Great work out there! You too Fernie! :)

At first I was confused as to where it was coming out, but it made sense. Yay no more road travel, not that anyone ever did that :)

If I was dying to get out, there is still some fresh to be found in the trees. I'd still be cautious if they get any amount of snow (which isn't in the forecast) as we triggered a few sluffs in the windloaded areas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom