Fernie season 2019/2020

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
We staged at the Tin Shack again yesterday. Snow is all gone at low elevation and road is glare ice. No snow until a mile or so past the valve station. The only reason we could keep the sleds cool was because of the rain and water on the road. When it freezes if there isn't any snow it will be hard on machinery. Ran into a group that staged at Morrissey, sounds like down low is much the same there.

This heavy snow is going to cause problems with the snow pack. Seen shooting cracks and whomping in the trees off the Doug Dean Trail. Play it safe to any body heading out.

ryanb40

Reaction score
Just had a friend tell me there is 3 miles of gravel you have to ride to get to the snow from morrissey. And the trail boss wouldn't let them drive up the road. Is this true?? Sounds off to me. Just wondering.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sure hope your wrong.
Just had a friend tell me there is 3 miles of gravel you have to ride to get to the snow from morrissey. And the trail boss wouldn't let them drive up the road. Is this true?? Sounds off to me. Just wondering.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its snowing now so it will help. I'm hoping it should be okay once you get past the bottom end.
I sure hope he is wrong! From what everyone else is saying, it's icy. But passable. They drove down this morning and turned around, headed back to Calgary.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a decent day up Morrisey today, the snow is suprisingly good at elevation, however I wouldn't travel here to ride with all the dirt riding before you hit snow. The club could definitely learn from other clubs that advance there staging areas down the mountain as they get sufficient snow cover down to the regular staging areas. I definitely would have drove my truck several kms up to the snow if it was allowed.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally agree with you. Certainly lack of snow for at least 2kms. My 2 sleds track area was covered in dirt and crap. It gets borderline okay by the big rock
Had a decent day up Morrisey today, the snow is suprisingly good at elevation, however I wouldn't travel here to ride with all the dirt riding before you hit snow. The club could definitely learn from other clubs that advance there staging areas down the mountain as they get sufficient snow cover down to the regular staging areas. I definitely would have drove my truck several kms up to the snow if it was allowed.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to let people know the FSA Bob Arnott family ride that was planned for Dec.28th has been postponed due to the conditions on the lower levels. We will be setting a date for the ride when mother nature gives us the white gold so all of us can get to the cabins safely. Up high is good but getting there is a real problem. Stay tuned for updates.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Little snow in the forecast. I'll be heading out Tuesday for a couple days so we'll report back.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots of locals are not out and I can see the highway from my house and I have yet to see a sled truck go by today. It's okay up high but getting there is not good at all. Old-Soul is 100% correct about the forecast. Not much for the next two weeks and yes that can change and hopefully it will. My son is home for the christmas break and he doesn't seem too excited to go out after our last ride on miles of dirt.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots of locals are not out and I can see the highway from my house and I have yet to see a sled truck go by today. It's okay up high but getting there is not good at all. Old-Soul is 100% correct about the forecast. Not much for the next two weeks and yes that can change and hopefully it will. My son is home for the christmas break and he doesn't seem too excited to go out after our last ride on miles of dirt.

Yeah I'm feeling apprehensive as we booked the room weeks ago and it's borderline "too late" to change directions.
I'm a firm believer in "and day sledding is a good day" so we'll make the best out of it.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots can happen from now till Tuesday when you guys arrive.
Yeah I'm feeling apprehensive as we booked the room weeks ago and it's borderline "too late" to change directions.
I'm a firm believer in "and day sledding is a good day" so we'll make the best out of it.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Felt good to burn off the turkey today, we probed 150cm in a flat meadow
ef7de30996946821aa0463f6a28f6206.jpg
ce395beaf3eb30c6d4cf628198f87f24.jpg
0579054438771a98cee04ef4b51f277b.jpg
9af7be15b6aa590bc5b3b9f234cebe60.jpg

Top Bottom