Fernie notch and cabin snow condtions pics would be great

highstage

Reaction score
Good day is there any snow in fernie looking to come down on the 16th of dec any informatin would be great pics even better

Thx

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Good day is there any snow in fernie looking to come down on the 16th of dec any informatin would be great pics even better

Thx

Not a lot of sled pictures as I have been too busy making a new trail through the Rolling Hills. The snow was 117 cm or 46" deep behind the Wrangler's cabin last week. There are pockets that
are up to 5-6' as I marked the trail with survey tape in September (tied the tape 5-6 off the ground) and some of the tape was buried and/or very close to the snow.

Two major crusts within the snow pack and the Oct rain crust just above the ground with facets on the ground. It may not be setting up for a healthy snowpack this winter. The tree riding should be great with little climbs and forgiving snow. Haven't had any new snow this week.

IMG_0600.jpg IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

alberta73

Reaction score
will this new trail be marked? Only been in the rolling hills once with guys that have been there several times even then we were never very sure where we were or where the cabin was. It was a lot of fun and would love to go through the hills every time I go in but everyone says stay out unless you know where you're going. Been to Corbin many times but always park at the yellow gates, head to the cabin, play in the burn out a bit on the way, then up the pipeline to the notch. Can you get into the rolling hills easy from the yellow gates? It's a ways extra driving all the way into Fernie when coming from the Alberta side. Have not been there enough to really have a feel for the lay of the land and how it all hooks up. Who has the best maps for Corbin area? Thanks.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
will this new trail be marked? Only been in the rolling hills once with guys that have been there several times even then we were never very sure where we were or where the cabin was. It was a lot of fun and would love to go through the hills every time I go in but everyone says stay out unless you know where you're going. Been to Corbin many times but always park at the yellow gates, head to the cabin, play in the burn out a bit on the way, then up the pipeline to the notch. Can you get into the rolling hills easy from the yellow gates? It's a ways extra driving all the way into Fernie when coming from the Alberta side. Have not been there enough to really have a feel for the lay of the land and how it all hooks up. Who has the best maps for Corbin area? Thanks.

Much nicer to stay in the truck, listen to tunes and the bs of your buddies for an extra 20-30 minutes than ride the rough trail in and out. Groomed from Coal Creek to the Wrangler's cabin when we finish with the construction phase of the new trail. It is 6m or 20' wide so I don't think you will miss it or get lost but we will put up some signs for those who tend to go south when they should go north. It's a big area but only a little bit is ridden as peeps are cautious. The east side of the Fernie map is pretty good showing the trails around Barnes, Elliot and then south to the USA border.

swift1

Reaction score
Doug, when do you anticipate the new trail to the Cabin will be done? What is the best way to get to the cabin now? Are they logging and is the road closed to snowmobile traffic? There was some talk about a new cabin being built this past summer, update on this or just talk? How much snow is at the cabin and conditons?
Thank you!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Doug, when do you anticipate the new trail to the Cabin will be done? What is the best way to get to the cabin now? Are they logging and is the road closed to snowmobile traffic? There was some talk about a new cabin being built this past summer, update on this or just talk? How much snow is at the cabin and conditons?
Thank you!

Hoping to go out with the SnowCat tomorrow/this weekend to clean up the ruts left by the excavator. IMHO, it would be a little rough to use the trail as it is but what doo I know! One could try it and see how it goes as that would be the best way to the Wrangler's cabin. All one has to doo is look for the big ruts from the excavator and follow. It is more or less 20' wide.

The Morrissey/McEvoy FSR is closed to snowmobile traffic and there is a large sign at the bottom stating that fact. Peeps who travel that section of road with logging trucks and contractors going up and down are crazy.

The new cabin is under construction. We ran out of weather in the fall and I cancelled the effort. We will begin again in earnest in July.

The snow is approximately 4' deep but deteriorating. We need more snow. There are untouched areas in the trees but they are normally known to the locals but you may get lucky and find some if you poke around. Enjoy, Doug

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That new trail is brutal right now. Nasty ruts and sticks poking out everywhere. I'm sure once we get some more snow you will have it ship-shape. What is the purpose of the new trail? So people don't have to ride the plowed road from Morrisey to get to the cabin?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
That new trail is brutal right now. Nasty ruts and sticks poking out everywhere. I'm sure once we get some more snow you will have it ship-shape. What is the purpose of the new trail? So people don't have to ride the plowed road from Morrisey to get to the cabin?

No kidding! All of my posts that addressed the new trail said the same thing; big ruts and big stumps. We will get it in shape!

The purpose of the new trail is to get sledders off the plowed road. The Morrissey staging area is closed! The gate is locked and the parking lot will not be plowed.

The Coal Creek staging area will be the only one on a groomed trail leading to the Notch and the Wrangler's cabin.

We tackled the first part of the new trail today with the SnowCat and it went well for what we were dealing with. Give us another couple of days and some new snow and it will be like a highway.

thammer

Reaction score
we made it into rolling hills once from coal creek and we tried to find a cabin back there, on our way in we passed a cabin that looks like its being built and right after that there was a y in the road and we took the left path, i beleiev thats rolling hills but i'm not sure, we tried going deeper to find a cabin back there but we couldnt find it but is that where the wrangler cabin is?

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we made it into rolling hills once from coal creek and we tried to find a cabin back there, on our way in we passed a cabin that looks like its being built and right after that there was a y in the road and we took the left path, i beleiev thats rolling hills but i'm not sure, we tried going deeper to find a cabin back there but we couldnt find it but is that where the wrangler cabin is?

You were still a long way from Wranglers where you were. It is on the far side of the rollng hills. You saw the new cabin location though.

mountain_tamer

Reaction score
Was just wondering what the conditions are in the rolling hills we are planning on heading out somewhere on the 30th and taking a few rookies. We would love to take them to the rolling hills as it is an awesome riding area and a good area to take new guys.

If you can let me know what the snow is like down there that would be great!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It is like everywhere else: it is white, cold, contains moisture, sometimes it has yellow spots, contains crystals and facets, and is fun to play in with motorized toys. hahaha

Just couldn't resist that one this morning!

But honestly, it is like everywhere else; rode out and we need more. There are flurries in the forecast for Sat and Sun but we need a good Xmas dump to clean/freshen things up. The base is great and with some fresh it will be great.

Don't know what happened to La Nina as she isn't even close to the same girl as last year.......:xmas2004_15:

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is like everywhere else: it is white, cold, contains moisture, sometimes it has yellow spots, contains crystals and facets, and is fun to play in with motorized toys. hahaha

Just couldn't resist that one this morning!

But honestly, it is like everywhere else; rode out and we need more. There are flurries in the forecast for Sat and Sun but we need a good Xmas dump to clean/freshen things up. The base is great and with some fresh it will be great.

Don't know what happened to La Nina as she isn't even close to the same girl as last year.......:xmas2004_15:

Doug, maybe it's her evil no snow twin, waiting to catch us off guard?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Doug, maybe it's her evil no snow twin, waiting to catch us off guard?

One never knows with the women in our lives? They always change their minds, cost us anguish, pain and suffering, and most of all they don't think anything of it!

I guess we can resort to eating fine food and drinking fine wine.....and then dancing with the snow gods.....:xmas2004_15:

thammer

Reaction score
You were still a long way from Wranglers where you were. It is on the far side of the rollng hills. You saw the new cabin location though.[/QUOTE
ya thats what i figured. we tried making our way through the bush over an old path but that didnt gst us anywhere. thanks i'm going to try it out again sometime

Bighairybeast

Reaction score
"Don't know what happened to La Nina as she isn't even close to the same girl as last year.......:xmas2004_15:"

Pretty much the same right now, hopefully she matches last seasons charge from January on.

alberta73

Reaction score
rode corbin yesterday, surprisingly good, at least 6-8 inches of fresh everywhere and up to 18 plus inches in the trees where the wind blew it all in. We were going to go in from fernie side but the guys we were with turned in on the coal road so we staged from the yellow gates, trail was rough going in but all the fresh helped. They built a new staging area about a mile in on that road. A guy we talked to at the wranglers cabin came all the way in on the pipeline and said he spent an hour in a creek trying to get his sled out so I think there is still some sparse areas that way. Once we hooked up to the fernie trail at Pages Draw it was better but still rough sections. From the cabin to the the notch the pipeline was actually really fun, other than the big rocks you could see we never had any issues. Wind blown down to the ground in a few exposed places like right at the notch. Played in the rolling hills a bit, better than I expected but needs a bit more coverage. The best riding we found was in the trees along the pipeline as we got closer to the notch. It feels like its about a month behind up there but at least it's ridable. Driving through the pass looked like fall, my son says he seen lots of sledders around castle mountain while he was snowboarding (westcastle). I'll be going back to corbin again because I know the area but I bet elkford and that whole area go the snow as well.

Top Bottom