Fernie conditions

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any updates for the coal creek areas?

Went up Coal Creek with a couple other lads on Friday the 6th. I drove down on Thursday evening and highway 3 was polished thick bumpy ice all the way.
We started late - about 11:30am and it was chilly. I got a little frost nip on my cheeks in the first few minutes on the trail - made some gear adjustments and was not bad for the rest of the day.
We went off Coal Creek to the west and found lots of fresh deep fluffy snow (5-6' deep) but a few hazards here and there (no damage though). Had a great blue sky powder day and got back to the parking lot tired and happy.
Trail out was brutally bumpy and cold…and the traditional pint of cider at the end of the day ended up to be frozen solid so it was back to the house and into the hot tub for a soak and refreshments.
There hasn't been snow there for a week so they will need another dump before it is good in most places.

Adam_Moops

Reaction score
Went up Coal Creek with a couple other lads on Friday the 6th. I drove down on Thursday evening and highway 3 was polished thick bumpy ice all the way.
We started late - about 11:30am and it was chilly. I got a little frost nip on my cheeks in the first few minutes on the trail - made some gear adjustments and was not bad for the rest of the day.
We went off Coal Creek to the west and found lots of fresh deep fluffy snow (5-6' deep) but a few hazards here and there (no damage though). Had a great blue sky powder day and got back to the parking lot tired and happy.
Trail out was brutally bumpy and cold…and the traditional pint of cider at the end of the day ended up to be frozen solid so it was back to the house and into the hot tub for a soak and refreshments.
There hasn't been snow there for a week so they will need another dump before it is good in most places.

Thanks for the info! Most place seem to be that way right now. Oh well, I guess I'll wait a bit longer yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Most place seem to be that way right now. Oh well, I guess I'll wait a bit longer yet!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the words of a wise old sledder named Santa "never expect a damage free ride until December 26th unless you know the terrain very well or are very careful"

jay-man

Reaction score
Has anyone been up riding lately? Planning to head to fernie this friday and curious what the snow conditions are like these days.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
There was 6" of fresh at the Coal Creek Summit on Friday. On Saturday, it rained to the top. Go figure......:noidea:

There is over a meter of snow and there is some great riding but early season hazards are still abound. One has to know where to ride................and yes, I groomed on Friday!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top of the mountain above the cabin in Coal Creek today.

ps: the Nytro in this pic is for sale. 270 MCX. 3" x 174". Timbersled rear, Z-bros front. :rolleyes:

kyle brian1.jpg

Last edited:

Cberg

Reaction score
I was out on Saturday at Coal Creek. It was socked in pretty thick up top. I rode in the trees just up from the cabin all day, 2 of us on snowbikes, it was pretty decent but had to be careful as there was still a lot of stumps just below the snow and some little creek crossings that the snow would just fall away on you if you weren't careful. 1 or 2 more good dumps should make it real nice.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
let it snow,let it snow!!!!!
I was out on Saturday at Coal Creek. It was socked in pretty thick up top. I rode in the trees just up from the cabin all day, 2 of us on snowbikes, it was pretty decent but had to be careful as there was still a lot of stumps just below the snow and some little creek crossings that the snow would just fall away on you if you weren't careful. 1 or 2 more good dumps should make it real nice.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Damn the snow gods are not cooperating this December! Doug you might have to post your traditional snow dance video as my feet are getting sore from dancing and it ain't working!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My video is sleeping right now. It has been refurbished and is in limbo for a day or two more.

Whenever I work on it, like doo some more footage we seem to get a little more snow. We got 5 cm last night and there was less further south.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
better to get kenny to do his rain dance, works way better, look at all the friggin rain we got this summer. he is a wizard at dancin, although when he gets started he just can't stop it seems. fernie on the other hand scares the crap out of the snow makers, what with that deeaad animal on his head. looked like a wolverine or skunk. no one will get close enough to see what it is. thus we have no way to tell if he is doing a snow dance or a send me a money dance. haha. although entertaining, fernnie {aka ol father time} should be out sledding.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went out yesterday up Coal Creek and took it easy with my son. lots of stumps still and lots on sleds tracking going into those line mines, no new snow in the staging area just ice. better have a good pair of scratchers on your sled

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
better to get kenny to do his rain dance, works way better, look at all the friggin rain we got this summer. he is a wizard at dancin, although when he gets started he just can't stop it seems. fernie on the other hand scares the crap out of the snow makers, what with that deeaad animal on his head. looked like a wolverine or skunk. no one will get close enough to see what it is. thus we have no way to tell if he is doing a snow dance or a send me a money dance. haha. although entertaining, fernnie {aka ol father time} should be out sledding.

I did just that today Larry. Carried that deeaad animal all over the place today. You just wait and see.....................we are going to get some snow.

I'm glad Kenny quit dancing, I don't know if he could impress the Snow Gods like he did the Rain Gods but really, anything may help!

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
Went for a ride in the Rolling Hills Saturday. The snow set up from last weekend and is quite inconsistent. There are still lots of stumps and rocks, many are just under the snow and waiting to cause some damage.

Since ferniesnow is still trying to get his helmet cam mounted on his helmet properly I figured I would post a video from Saturday. It is not the same quality as we are used to from ferniesnow but hey, it's better than nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lqub_zxVaU&feature=youtu.be

Top Bottom