Fernie conditions

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
easy fix to that create a burm at the trail head nice little gradual rise about two feet deep
The coal creek trail was so good that someone was able to drive there truck up to the mathison, and then proceded to get it stuck at the coal creek bridge. To bad they put some good ruts in what was a good trail.

The snow on the other hand is still very fun.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The coal creek trail was so good that someone was able to drive there truck up to the mathison, and then proceded to get it stuck at the coal creek bridge. To bad they put some good ruts in what was a good trail.

Maybe ferniesnow had it groomed so smooth that they thought they were still on the road. lol

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Just another thing for the grooming operator to fix. We'll address it tomorrow night. Maybe put up a big berm at the parking lot. Didn't have enough snow in the early season and we sort of forgot about it as guys were using the far parking lot to stage due to over crowding in the main lot. I'll berm the road and then they'll drive the trail on the left as far as they can......we can't win for losing!

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if ya make the slope gradual enough you can hardly tell its there .....our groomer puts one in the odd time i didnt even know it was there untill a calgary member got hung up
and then the sledders use it for a jump.......liability, liability, liability!

We'll make it straight up to about 6' so the sledders get the point.

Snow Rodeo

Reaction score
Anyone been into Little Sands recently? I was there last friday and it had been rained on so you were only sinking in about 4"s but there is a tonne of snow up there...I hope they got some fresh stuff up there recently.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Drive to Fernie; enjoy the comfort of your truck and your tunes. Buy a trail pass for $10 and enjoy a smooth trail all the way to the Wranglers. Then I don't mind if you use our propane for your bar-b-qued burger. Also, the ride back to the truck will be fairly smooth on the groomed trail.

In Your Neck

Reaction score
Website
www.destroyerlacrosse.com
Its not that Im being cheap on Trail Passes, I use the honour system for trail donations. I'll BBQ at home, Im there to ride it just shaves it shaves 40 min off each way for a day trip and there's a Roughnecks game too....

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
How is the Pipeline from the Coal Mine to Wrangles cabin? Just care that there is enough so to make it in or blessed with a Powline. Thinken of staging there and riding in this Friday.

If you stage from the Tin Shack the trail to the Pipeline is not very good at all. If you take the shortcut the rivers are crossable and the pipeline is very smooth in the lower elevations. It starts to rough up just past the first valve station. The moguls are fairly wide spaced so not to bad on the pipeline. If you wanted to go to the Cabin I would take the logging road that they stopped using now and meet up at the new trail out of the Rolling Hills.

We rode the Pipeline on Saturday and staged at the Coal Creek out of Fernie Sunday. Coal Creek was a bit rough on Sunday but with the warm temp and rain on Saturday it was not too bad. Could still do 35 – 40 mph without a problem, still better than the pipeline and well worth the 10 bucks.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If you stage from the Tin Shack the trail to the Pipeline is not very good at all. If you take the shortcut the rivers are crossable and the pipeline is very smooth in the lower elevations. It starts to rough up just past the first valve station. The moguls are fairly wide spaced so not to bad on the pipeline. If you wanted to go to the Cabin I would take the logging road that they stopped using now and meet up at the new trail out of the Rolling Hills.

We rode the Pipeline on Saturday and staged at the Coal Creek out of Fernie Sunday. Coal Creek was a bit rough on Sunday but with the warm temp and rain on Saturday it was not too bad. Could still do 35 – 40 mph without a problem, still better than the pipeline and well worth the 10 bucks.

It is that time of year once again! At the lower section we can't cut the moguls because the snow just clumps and forms balls which will freeze and be a serious hazard. We try to cut a little in the valley bottom and cut more as we progress to higher elevations. The snow was very groomable at the higher elevations on Monday with 6-8" of fresh in the Rolling Hills. The set-up temp on Monday night was -6C in the Rolling Hills so the trail may be quite good until we groom on Friday night.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doug you guys doo a great job with the trails down there thanks for all your efforts over the winter. To the rest of the whining beeotches if you dont like the trail conditions don't ride there. Ride bumps and jumps all day up top suck it up buttercups and endure a little more at the end of the day. Starting to sound like a bunch of premedonnas, Trails to rough my panties are ridin up in a bunch.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Doug you guys doo a great job with the trails down there thanks for all your efforts over the winter. To the rest of the whining beeotches if you dont like the trail conditions don't ride there. Ride bumps and jumps all day up top suck it up buttercups and endure a little more at the end of the day. Starting to sound like a bunch of premedonnas, Trails to rough my panties are ridin up in a bunch.

Thanks man! It is heart warming to know some appreciate the work that is put toward the trails; SnowCat maintenance (fuel, oils, grease, broken cleats replacements, tire replacement, hydraulic leak repairs, etc., etc.), transport, all the signs/markers, radio communications, trail maintenance with tree removal, grooming reports, and the list is just about endless. Thanks for riding Fernie and boosting the local economy.

PS when we gonna doo the shrimp/steak dinner thing?

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks man! It is heart warming to know some appreciate the work that is put toward the trails; SnowCat maintenance (fuel, oils, grease, broken cleats replacements, tire replacement, hydraulic leak repairs, etc., etc.), transport, all the signs/markers, radio communications, trail maintenance with tree removal, grooming reports, and the list is just about endless. Thanks for riding Fernie and boosting the local economy.

PS when we gonna doo the shrimp/steak dinner thing?

I am one who can relate to the work and effort that goes into providing accessable trails. I will let you know in the next little bit and try to accomidate your timing, I need to get mine together to. Fernie is a great place to ride has everything you would need or want for terrain and the peeps down there are great no BS locals will always help you out with their knoledge. Alot less incidents of crime and its close what more could you ask for. Has been and always will be one of my fav places. If you havn't seen the Ghost Rider at dusk your missing something spectacular.

teddybear26x

Reaction score
had a good dump mid october. Than it was rain rain rain rain and rain all with warm temps. It's pretty much all gone. There is still some snow at the top of three sisters and the lizard range. Other than that nothing.
Have snow in the forecast for the next couple days so we will see if that holds true or not

Top Bottom