Feedback...2008 Polaris Dragon 800.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My season is unfortunately done due to minor surgery but I'm possibly looking at a 2008 Polaris Dragon 800 for next season. 2000 miles and all factory updates done. Stock. Lady ridden machine. Any feedback from people who know....I know this always brings out the best in the Bashers which can be fun, but just wondering what those who have had experience with these machines think of them.
Thanks in advance:beer:

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well you are going to hear lots of things with this sled! But I just got mine this season and I love it! I think all machines can have there issues but in the end you have to like how it feels. My mechanic Chrisco is the know everything guy IMO with dragons so contact him and he will help you out and let you know what to look for or expect. Good luck!

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love mine 3800 miles now. Best sled Iv ever owned.

Attachments

• DSC_0546.jpg
    DSC_0546.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 194

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Based on the talk, I've been expecting my Assault to crater every trip. 1800 hard, flapper to the bar, kms gas oil and a belt. Zero issues. Riding an Attank for 4 years, I had forgotten what fun was until I got this thing. Hope I didn't jinx it. I'll sell it to ya...so I can snowcheck a 12.:d

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only 1500 miles on mine but it's been gas/oil and pull the rope for me. Mine is also for sale as I made the mistake of riding my buddies 2011 Pro, so it's a buyers market for Dragons. All the good stuff I like about my Dragon is just that much better on the Pro.

Trench

BYOB

Reaction score
Had an 08 800 Dragon 163. Great handling and comfort. Fun to ride, climbed like a champ. Chassis was very durable, I am 240lb +gear and ride it hard, and only thing I broke was a few lower a arms from smacking into stuff. I aired this thing out lots and tail dropped it and gave it lots of tree abuse, no problems.

Now the motor... Original one ran awesome all the way till they did the upgrade in 09, about 1400km, was mint inside till then. Blew up 32kms after the upgrade, damage so bad they just dropped in a whole new engine. Ran that one for around 1200km and then had some piston scuff that required new pistons and cylinders, then ran it for another 600km or so until I traded it in on an 2012 pro a few weeks ago, was running good still when I traded it.

I honestly feel it would still be running like a champ on the original motor if they hadn't wanted to open it up and upgrade it. The new motors top end job was kind of a surprise as it was running good up to that point. Took it in to get the tps and idle adjusted and they gave me the bad news. Said it looked like it got bad gas or sucked in snow, was first ride of the year, early season with deep powder so it might have been. Also could have got bad gas since we were some of the first riders out for the year and it might have been old premium from the station. Either way it was a good running sled 99% of the time. On that note though, 2 guys I ride with have also each lost 1 motor, both were due to voltage regulator failures causing damage as they were rode out instead of towed when problems first started.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Dave stepping away from ski-doo?

Not that I don't like my REV but 4 years newer and pretty low kms has me thinking. I'll ride anything that gets me out and back.
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Greatly appreciated!:beer:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Incase you are on the fence, I have an 08XPX154ES for sale. Dealer serviced, all updates, and a few goodies added.

Between Moyie and Elkford, the transport is pretty easy.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My season is unfortunately done due to minor surgery but I'm possibly looking at a 2008 Polaris Dragon 800 for next season. 2000 miles and all factory updates done. Stock. Lady ridden machine. Any feedback from people who know....I know this always brings out the best in the Bashers which can be fun, but just wondering what those who have had experience with these machines think of them.
Thanks in advance:beer:

Is that the one on castanet for 5K?I am from kelowna and will take you out anytime to try my 09 D800.I love this sled and have never had an issue with it.My wife rides an 09 RMK700 and you can try that one aswell.I was up in the stokes today with her sled.PM me with your Phone # and I can give you more info before all the doo lovers try to covince you there is only one sled.BTW iam am a mature rider with 12 yrs riding exp

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that the one on castanet for 5K?I am from kelowna and will take you out anytime to try my 09 D800.I love this sled and have never had an issue with it.My wife rides an 09 RMK700 and you can try that one aswell.I was up in the stokes today with her sled.PM me with your Phone # and I can give you more info before all the doo lovers try to covince you there is only one sled.BTW iam am a mature rider with 12 yrs riding exp

Thanks Savage for the more than generous offer. Ya, it is the one on the web right now. If I wasn't out for the next 6 weeks I'd certainly take you up on that. Would the 08 be similar to your 09 or were there big changes from one year to the next? I've ridden the 700 and really liked it but they're hard to come by. :beer:

sub zero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Savage for the more than generous offer. Ya, it is the one on the web right now. If I wasn't out for the next 6 weeks I'd certainly take you up on that. Would the 08 be similar to your 09 or were there big changes from one year to the next? I've ridden the 700 and really liked it but they're hard to come by. :beer:

id stay as far away from an 08-09 as possible. 2010's were better but every guy i know that had an 08 replaced motors. and reflash wasnt the fix.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Most of the people that have had issues don't do the majoraty of their riding high up in the mountains.Mine is an 09 with the updates done and I get the ocassional bog usually coming back down by the clear cuts on my way to the parking lot.Never misses a beat going up or while riding the 5500-7K that we ride.The 09 has some refinements like the protaper bars,real front bumper,diff sway bars,rails ,lite weight spindals.All in all they handle the same as my buddy has an 08 700 and I switch back and forth on it.I do like the 700 but my 800 is just that much more fun as it gets up on the snow much better and I like the torque of the800.If your serious about that 08 I would at least pay someone with knowledge to pull the power valves and check for any piston scuffing.The rest of the sled is solid.I sealed my air box from day one and always run non ethanol premium fuel with Polaris syn oil and vary the throttle.Mine runs strong with 900 miles since the update

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THEM AS POSSIBLE!!!! Just dumped my sons, nothing but problems!! Got it 2 years ago, went thru 2 stators, 3 regulators, and 2 computers, which or course took out the motor..... twice!!... and of course nothing was warranty. They should have come out in yellow!!! I have nothing good to say about this machine. It would have been cheaper to use it as a boat anchor then to ride it.... :rant:

Last edited:
Top Bottom