Fast idle & flooding??

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My '04 800 Summit X seems to have picked up quite a fast idle, about 2500-3000 rpm. I was told that I should check out the reeds as they may be letting air past & overfueling the engine. I also had a little flooding issue when the sled was left pointing down hill at an idle. The engine stalled out a was a real bugger to start. We got it going by treating it like it was flooded. Just wondering if any one else has had this problem or could offer some suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Born2Ride

Reaction score
Brew_Doo can you say XP!!! Until then maybe the carb needle and seats are getting a little worn and not quite sealing. When riding no problem because you are on the fun flipper and machine wants lots of fuel, come to a idle but fuel still flowing.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine was doing something similar, and when i looked I left the carb heaters open.

OPPS!!!

Haven't had a chance to ride it, hoping for the best for sunday, but any info on this would help me alot also.

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have talked to a friend about it and we made a few adjustments but I will not have a chance to ride until after Xmas. I'll let you know what happens after I ride it.

Reaction score
I was just loading up my xp into my truck and it took a few tries cause of the lift, and the slick conditions, but it shut off cause off the motor kill was hit, then it would not start for the life of it hoping it was just flooded.... any input out there.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probally flooded wait and try again. Hold the throttle down and try to start. Have the track off the ground in case it trys to go ahead. Dont be afraid to try to give it some choke also if it still wont fire.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Mine is dooing the same thing....does the computer manage the idle on an 07? or should i turn it down?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My '04 800 Summit X seems to have picked up quite a fast idle, about 2500-3000 rpm. I was told that I should check out the reeds as they may be letting air past & overfueling the engine. I also had a little flooding issue when the sled was left pointing down hill at an idle. The engine stalled out a was a real bugger to start. We got it going by treating it like it was flooded. Just wondering if any one else has had this problem or could offer some suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Not sure about the fast idle. Downhill pointing flooding would point me in the direction of the floats being set too high, I know this was a problem on the old 583's that Doo made. The cure was to pop the bowls off and bend the float tab up a little (but you need the proper measurement from Doo for the height) they were a little off on it spec I guess. I want to say 1mm was the fix, but talk to the dealer for the factory spec on your sled or, most (I think)sit around 22mm from the top of the bowl. The manual has the spec and procedure on how to do it if you have the manual.

Top Bottom