farmers with a voice (sewer in drinking water)

fredd

Reaction score
I just learned that EnCana is trying to build a 28acre pond west of Rimbey towards medicine lake. the pond will be to hold 320,000 cubic meters of fluid, a large portion of which is used water from rimbeys sewer. they are storing the so called water for fracking in the area. fracking is bad and EnCana has left over the years a path of destruction. imagine findingout the crapy water from your well caused by fracking is the towns sewer. drink beer. YouTube

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just learned that EnCana is trying to build a 28acre pond west of Rimbey towards medicine lake. the pond will be to hold 320,000 cubic meters of fluid, a large portion of which is used water from rimbeys sewer. they are storing the so called water for fracking in the area. fracking is bad and EnCana has left over the years a path of destruction. imagine findingout the crapy water from your well caused by fracking is the towns sewer. drink beer. YouTube

Go find another apple box to preach from. Do you have even half an idea where that water goes presently??

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is just a reply with quote. it is the original video, whatever that was....I didn't take the time to watch it.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Another un-educated post by someone who doesn't even know how to spell it.
First it's spelled or printed FRACTURING otherwise it is to be left as the word FRAC. There is no "K" in it.
Second, Frac jobs don't cause water wells to go south. Poor cement jobs do. Even pressure before a frac is done can be high in a well so blaming the frac for gas or fluid migration is generally a media fueled bunch of BS in many cases.
How deep is a water well for drinking. 300', 500' max? The zones they Frac are usually over 2000' or more below the surface with the exception of Coal Bed Methane. Surface casing is also usually deeper than the surface water table as well and unlike the U.S. we have laws up here to ensure they are protected. Also, our service companies and oil companies up here are held to a much higher standard than in the states. Most have a zero spill policy on their leases and they make a big deal about leaving even a few drops of oil from an engine on the ground. It's the reason many oil companies require duck ponds and spill containment under all equipment on location.
So stop buying into the Gasland media BS. Or the indians in NB. It's a very very small percentage of wells that have issues in Canada and it's part of the risk involved in the recovery of fossil fuels.
I'd be more concerned about the fuel on the ground around the local UFA card-lock getting into the nearby streams and rivers than anything else.

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So we can't use fresh water to frac, so they find an alternative, sewer water that is less valuable than fresh water and now you shoot down that. Also your well can't be deeper than 500ft without a special permit, which as stated before is far shallower than the target zones for fracing, so there is little risk of contamination. People like this that start making a fuss over things before they have all the details are the reason we can't have nice things.

Besides you come on an atv and snowmobile forum, a forum in which all its members power their toys with fossil fuels, and begin to complain about the oil and gas industry which through the use of fracing is producing more and cheaper fuels for all of us to use, not to mention employing directly or indirectly many of the members here. Where is the logic in that?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Farmers with a voice....... Gimme a break.
You don't care where your fuel comes from so long as it isn't out of your area huh?
Tell you what, you go back to farming with horses and oxen and use nothing but wind and water power. Then you can bitch all you want and your complaints may be legit. Till then, STFU!!!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Farmers with a voice....... Gimme a break.
You don't care where your fuel comes from so long as it isn't out of your area huh?
Tell you what, you go back to farming with horses and oxen and use nothing but wind and water power. Then you can bitch all you want and your complaints may be legit. Till then, STFU!!!
Specious argument. Does that mean if we breathe, we are not allowed to talk about air pollution?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what guarantee is there that the fracting process stays in the intended zone, what with the high hp and pressures being used, and how does anyone know how or where the fracing extends. i can't see the sewage water being any better or worse than the chemicals sent down the well bore. as to the well bore extending well below the water table, don't let anyone blow smoke up ur azz i've seen my share of well bore leaks.

i am all fore safe oil and gas extraction, most are just seems to be a few hickups along the way. usually caused by tight budgets, overzealous rig personnal, rising stars in calgary, and meeting investor expectations. thankfully there have been very few incidents here in alberta. and hopefully it stays that way.

nothing wrong with the people of alberta questioning the process or the people involved, keeps them honest and looking for better solutions. the typical oil rigger answer (don't use oil products) just dosen't cut it and shows there level of understanding.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately fracturing in the intended zones relies on the integrity of down hole cement jobs....... Seems like we are completing a Ton of leakers these days..

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd have more faith in what the industry claims if I didn't see on a daily basis how $$$ takes a back seat to the environment. They say it doesn't, but it does.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd have more faith in what the industry claims if I didn't see on a daily basis how $$$ takes a back seat to the environment. They say it doesn't, but it does.

now that is the best post going, i agree totally,

it is all about the bottom line.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
back in the 80 when shallow gas drilling was happening by the thousands, they would test water wells before and after fracing, many farms had new water wells and buyouts from the patch....dont be fooled with todays beter technolgy, it still happens

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This summer at Medicine Lake they had a water line laid out for maybe 8 km pumping to a large tank. I talked to one of the workers who said it's used to frac the well. So if treated sewer water can be used why not?

Used to frac a well or put back into the river. What's the difference reuse it.

Just my option

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This summer at Medicine Lake they had a water line laid out for maybe 8 km pumping to a large tank. I talked to one of the workers who said it's used to frac the well. So if treated sewer water can be used why not?

Used to frac a well or put back into the river. What's the difference reuse it.

Just my option

I think the main debate is can they be 100% positive the fluid is going to stay in the zone they want?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the main debate is can they be 100% positive the fluid is going to stay in the zone they want?

i have to hand it to you, very good post.

with the process used (pressure) how can anyone have any idea, what is fracked, where it runs etc. asking and answering questions may put peoples fears to rest, as once the water table is compromised it is not much good(water).

and there are lots of areas where gas vents from ground fractures, directly to the atmosphere. one i can recall is in the middle of the peace river.

Top Bottom