Farmer talk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was seeding across the road from my neighbour who is an organic farmer today. He was preburning with a rogator. Hmmmmm..

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apparently the organic commission is investigating him I am told. He sells alot of his grain to Italy and now it comes out the end buyer over there is his uncle. He is buying land around here at double the going rate and alot of young farmers are wondering how they can get into farming with that tard spoiling the marketplace.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$2500/acre for dryland in my area. Really tough to buy land with all the M.I.B./BTOs/Feedlots around here.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think the USA is quite a lot more expensive than Canada. Heard iowa had some go for $22k/acre. ouch.

That was only like an hour and a half away from here. But what you wouldnt read about is the buyer ended up letting it go back to the seller not even 6 months later.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These guys must have rocks in there heads. Figure out grain prices , high input costs and how do you pay for land at these prices? Pretty soon its going to be all Hutts around here. The crows are sitting on the fence waiting for land to go up for sale.

HID power

Reaction score
These guys must have rocks in there heads. Figure out grain prices , high input costs and how do you pay for land at these prices? Pretty soon its going to be all Hutts around here. The crows are sitting on the fence waiting for land to go up for sale.

Do the hutterites get tax advantages as a religious organization when they expand and buy more land?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the hutterites get tax advantages as a religious organization when they expand and buy more land?
They will certainly have power with the grain buyers if colonies band together to sell now that the wheat board will be gone...........
they own a ton of land between Strathmore and Brooks.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They will certainly have power with the grain buyers if colonies band together to sell now that the wheat board will be gone...........
they own a ton of land between Strathmore and Brooks.

There are at least 6 colonies in the county of Vulcan that I can think of off the top of my head.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found this on western producer website...
Q: Do Hutterites pay taxes?
A: Hutterites lost their religious tax exemption status in 1961. Colonies pay taxes on net income divided by the number of colony workers older than 18. They do not collect premiums for the Canada Pension Plan or social assistance.
Reg Shandro, an accountant who works with Hutterite colonies, said like all farmers, colonies are able to “massage” their taxes bill. New colonies with plenty of bills and little income don’t pay much tax, but mature colonies pay a lot of tax.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found this on western producer website...
Q: Do Hutterites pay taxes?
A: Hutterites lost their religious tax exemption status in 1961. Colonies pay taxes on net income divided by the number of colony workers older than 18. They do not collect premiums for the Canada Pension Plan or social assistance.
Reg Shandro, an accountant who works with Hutterite colonies, said like all farmers, colonies are able to “massage” their taxes bill. New colonies with plenty of bills and little income don’t pay much tax, but mature colonies pay a lot of tax.

I'm pretty sure with all the expanding they are doing that it is pretty easy to make alot of money go away if you know what I mean? There are alot down your way to Johnny?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are about 4 miles away from the home base of a fairly large one. They are running 8 brand new combines every year, so I gotta assume they have lots of land maybe 50,000 acres?

Top Bottom