Farmer shoots shotgun at quad theives....Faces Charges

BombardierBratz

Reaction score
Man faces charges after shots allegedly fired at quad thief

By Advocate staff

Published: March 26, 2009 7:57 PM
A Bashaw-area man and three other suspects are all facing charges after an attempted vehicle theft at a farm 25 kilometres southwest of the town early Thursday morning.
Staff Sgt. Darrel Bruno of the Hobbema RCMP said police were called after a farm couple heard noises outside their house at about 1:40 a.m.
Three males were seen outside of the house. Two of them jumped into a truck while the third man took off on a quad that had been parked outside.
Police allege that the fleeing quad was pursued by a car and was run off the road. The driver of the car is then alleged to have fired two shotgun rounds at the suspect as he attempted to run away.
Police say the car driver then enlisted help of friends and relatives who live in the area to search for the suspect and bring him back to the side of the road.
It is then alleged that the helpers placed the 30-year-old man inside a pickup truck, which he attempted to drive away, but lost control and slid into the ditch.
The man was held until police arrived and was then evacuated by STARS air ambulance to an Edmonton hospital, where he is now under treatment.
Charges are to be laid against the farmer, the main suspect and two others. Police have not released their names.

Not to open a can of worms here, but I get the feeling that the theives are entitled to steal our stuff. I understand that as a good citizen, we cant maim the perps, but the authorities seem to have their hands tied too. The guy is in the hospital, they havn't said the extent of the injuries, but this could have gone way wrong. Even more than it had. YEISH!

Red Deer Advocate - Man faces charges after shots allegedly fired at quad thief

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put in that situation, I am not sure what I would do ?
I know for sure that I would not stand by and watch them drive off..
I work hard for the stuff that I have and like to keep it.
But I also lock them up securely, not just leaving them on the front lawn !
They first have to get past the big A$$ dog !!:cool:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Should have killed him.Dead thief can't sue you and our justice system doesn't do much about murder.I mean justifiable homicide.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
farmer needs better aim..i would have done the same thing.think those little bustirds will try it again...i don't think so..mission accomplished!:beer:

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put in that situation, I am not sure what I would do ?
I know for sure that I would not stand by and watch them drive off..
I work hard for the stuff that I have and like to keep it.
But I also lock them up securely, not just leaving them on the front lawn !
They first have to get past the big A$$ dog !!:cool:

but if the dog bites a thief then u get charged too

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not if you can't find him...

"Beware Of Dog" Sign in 2 places of house and any gate or doorway. Think that will cover yer a$$ . That was many years ago in BC , that is what i was told i had to do. Had Akita nice dog , would let you in the house and everything , just dont leave

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Beware Of Dog" Sign in 2 places of house and any gate or doorway. Think that will cover yer a$$ . That was many years ago in BC , that is what i was told i had to do. Had Akita nice dog , would let you in the house and everything , just dont leave

I had beware of dog signs up because of the wolf. My neighbor said take them down as you are admitting that you know she could be agressive and get sued. I'm wondering if this is true. Some kids (big kids, young adults)were sniffing around the sleds late at night. I let her out, she put on quite a show for them.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard that same argument about the Beware of Dog sign. I was told the sign should read "Guard Dog on Duty" or "Working Dog on Premises" I will have to ask my niece the lawyer to see what her opinion is on the matter but it might cost me. LOL

Billy Boy:cool:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I keep my 12 guage defender handy for just those reasons. Comes camping too! Last year over night 30+ quads were stolen in Brazeau. You can never be too prepared! :beer::d:beer: Ya I know I'm a redneck ....

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard that same argument about the Beware of Dog sign. I was told the sign should read "Guard Dog on Duty" or "Working Dog on Premises" I will have to ask my niece the lawyer to see what her opinion is on the matter but it might cost me. LOL

Thanks that would be great. :) I'll pick some huckelberries for you when they are in season.:)

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The farmer should be reimbursed by the theives for the cost of the shells fired!!!! That would be a yes I am in favor of what he did. :cool:

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

that's what i've heard as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
first mistake ......calleing in the law .......there had to have been a big enough tree around there soewhere ????

I had my tarps stolen last September....I tracked the guys down to their house ..confronted them and spoke with the elders in the reserve about the dinks that stole em ..said I knew who did it and everything ....decided to pass it over to law instead of handin out the sentence myself.........Sept,Oct,Nov,Dec,Jan,Feb,March....can you count ?? told the RCs ...everthing did all the ground work including names everything .....

7 months later .....$3000 new tarps and nothing, nada zipo

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I would have broke every finger in both hands so that those thieving b@stards had a good long time to think about what they have done and keep them outta the crime loop for a bit. "I am sure he hurt himself when he wiped out the quad officer" Ha Ha.

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe is someone is stupid enough to rob you , them you the land owner should be allowed to defend your property and protect your familly.

Top Bottom