Family Snow Safety

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So we've now officially kicked of this years riding season. I am so excited to see the families coming into the store getting their avalanche safety gear for their entire family. In about a week or so we'll kick off a series of Winter safety classes, beacon practices and even special guest and author Matt Potratz will be working with us, towards a safe winter for all. I feel thankful for the help and wisdom of everyone involved.

I'd like to start developing a winter safety coloring book, complete with safety messages such as , don't play under overhangs with snow, The dangers of exploring frozen lakes and rivers without adult supervision, frostbite, etc. Do we have any cartoonists in the house?
Maybe we could have an illustration contest with the winner receiving Main Jet Motorsports shwag?

Again Thank you to everyone!

Trish
trishd@mainjet.ca

sledbunny20

Reaction score
Winnipeg most of the time and BC whatever chance I
Trish..question, I know I need to take the course but the only significant time I have in BC besides the three day trips is Christmas holidays...do you know if there is a course running near sicamous or revelstoke during that time? I have a backpack and spot locator so I have the gear...but want to be as knowledgeable and responsible as I can be.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a day to take it to.......I have been talking to Amber Woods out of Revy......Here is her web site for all the days she is teaching......
trigger-point.ca

Trish..question, I know I need to take the course but the only significant time I have in BC besides the three day trips is Christmas holidays...do you know if there is a course running near sicamous or revelstoke during that time? I have a backpack and spot locator so I have the gear...but want to be as knowledgeable and responsible as I can be.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hi Tracy Let me see what I can find out through the grapevine. Huge hug and props to wanting to be educated. Beacon Probe Shovel, and the education to utilize them are so important. I'll keep you in the loop. Anyone who has anything going on in that area please let Tracy know too!
Powder Puff, maybe you can chime in on stuff you have going on in that area. We are doing an AST 1 course (date yet to be determined) and an Avalanche awareness and refresher course sometimes in December, and beacon practices throughout the year. Maddi, a helicopter ski instructor and friend of mine had a wonderful idea for one of our beacon practices.. hide a beacon in the snow bank the snow plow pushes to get somewhat of an Idea how packed that snow will be. If you have access to a back hoe or tractor this could be a great lesson.

:)

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Trish great idea on the coloring book, those little guys and gals are like sponges. They learn so quick. Another idea for your book might be to stay away from power lines when they are playing on the huge piles of snow that happen due to snow removal.

Only courses I know of are Amber`s in Revy and Sicamous. Amber is a great instructor.
Here is the schedule.

I really like the idea of the companion rescue class she is now offering for riders who have taken the AST1 course.

Glad to hear families outfitting everyone with safety gear.
I work at a trailhead, last season a group came through the gates and I was watching the beacon idicator to see that all their beacons were transmitting. A young guy with them didn`t show on the board, I stopped them and let them know. I`m guessing it was his dad told me the young guy didn`t have a beacon on cause he wasn`t going to be doing anything that he might need one for.

Last edited:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trish great idea on the coloring book, those little guys and gals are like sponges. They learn so quick. Another idea for your book might be to stay away from power lines when they are playing on the huge piles of snow that happen due to snow removal.

Only courses I know of are Amber`s in Revy and Sicamous. Amber is a great instructor.
Here is the schedule.

I really like the idea of the companion rescue class she is now offering for riders who have taken the AST1 course.

Glad to hear families outfitting everyone with safety gear.
I work at a trailhead, last season a group came through the gates and I was watching the beacon idicator to see that all their beacons were transmitting. A young guy with them didn`t show on the board, I stopped them and let them know. I`m guessing it was his dad told me the young guy didn`t have a beacon on cause he wasn`t going to be doing anything that he might need one for.

That's an awesome point you made with the powerline safety Kathy. I agree, if the entire family is heading out to play, Everyone needs to be outfitted with the appropriate gear, and know how to use it. Keep me in the loop of awesome ideas. You have lots of them. The point you made last year regarding parade safety is still being implemented today. Hand the candy and prizes to the children don't toss it, keeping everyone a safe distance away from Trucks and trailers and parade floats.
Have an awesome day!!

Trish :)

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We will be having the first Beacon Orientation on Saturday from 4:00pm-5:00pm. Everyone is welcome!!!! Hope to see you here

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The BCA rep Dwayne will Be in the store on Saturday afternoon to up date the tracker 2 beacons, and answer any questions you may have regarding the Beacon updates. We'll be playing "the fine line"
another point to be made, another reason I LOVE the Canadian Avalanche Center,
Backcountry Avalanche Workshops : Events : Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca
[h=1]Get the Most Out of Your Winter Backcountry Experiences[/h]View larger imagePushing powder on Brohm Ridge | Photo: Chris Christie

This year, the Backcountry Avalanche Workshops will take a new format. The CAC is hitting the road, doing a northern tour and a southern tour, with evening presentations delivered by a CAC forecaster. These BAWs are a great pre-season primer that will get your head back into the snow pack and avalanche issues. Choosing terrain, knowing avalanche characteristics, reviewing rescue techniques and equipment are just some of the topics that will be covered. Whether you enjoy the backcountry on skis or sled or board you will gain valuable information from these workshops. Q&A and discussions are encouraged. The workshops are open to any backcountry recreationist, new to the sport or veteran. The workshops are FREE! For more information email programservices@avalanche.ca.
The schedule is as follows (please note that some venues are still tentative and will be updated):
Prince George, BC: Nov. 13 (sled and ski combined). PG Snowmobile Club house, 12000 Scott Road, 6:30 - 9:30 pm
Smithers, BC: Nov. 15 (ski). The Old Church, 6 - 9 pm
Smithers, BC: Nov. 16 (sled). The Old Church, 6 - 9 pm
Mackenzie, BC: Nov. 18 (sled). Recreation Centre, 6:00 - 9:00 pm
Chetwynd, BC: Nov. 19 (sled). Recreation Centre, 6:30 - 9:30 pm
Grande Prairie, AB: Nov. 21 (sled). Stojans, 9415 - 163rd Ave., 6:30 - 9:30 pm
Jasper, AB: Nov. 23 (ski and sled combined). Jasper Activity Centre, 7 - 10 pm
Kamloops, BC: Nov. 25 (sled and ski combined). TRU Clock Tower Theatre, 6:30 - 9:30 pm
Kelowna, BC: Nov. 28 (ski). Union Cycle, 110 - 2000 Spall Road, 6:30 - 9:30 pm
Nelson, BC: Nov. 30 (ski). LV Rogers Secondary School, 6:30 - 9:30 pm
Rossland, BC: Dec. 1 (sled and ski combined). Rossland Secondary School Gymnasium, 6:30 - 9:30 pm
Fernie, BC: Dec. 3 (ski). Fernie Alpine Resort, Griz Bar, 6:30 - 9:30 pm
Lethbridge, AB (tentative): Dec. 5 (sled)
Calgary, AB: Dec. 7 (sled). Albert Park, 1310 28th St. SE, 6:30 - 9:30 pm
Canmore, AB, Dec. 8 (ski). Canmore Seniors' Centre, 600B 9th St., 7 pm
Whitehorse, YT, Dec. 9, Beringia Centre, 7 pm
The CAC is also partnering with one of our sponsors, Mountain Equipment Co-op, to bring shorter versions of the BAW to the ski crowd in five MEC stores. These are all evening programs that will run approximately 1-1/2 hours. These workshops are FREE! Check the individual store for start times.
Edmonton: Friday, Oct. 21 (7:00 - 9:00 pm)
Vancouver: Thursday, Nov. 17 (7:00 - 9:00 pm)
Victoria: Sunday, Nov. 20 (all day, held in conjunction with Snowfest
Calgary: Tuesday, Dec. 6 (6:30 - 8:00 pm)
North Vancouver: Wednesday, Dec. 7 (7:00 - 9:00 pm)

The CAC wants to thank Columbia Brewery for their continued sponsorship of the Backcountry Avalanche Workshops.
For more information please contact programservices@avalanche.ca.
Here are some comments from last year's workshops:
  • Eye opening and informative; it’s a valuable session for any backcountry user who wants to travel safely. (Whitehorse participant)
  • Very informative; I learned a lot of things I had never considered about the backcountry. (Prince George participant)

Top Bottom