Fallen Timber

Born2Ride

Reaction score
Can not believe no one has posted on this area. Bar none best dirt biking spot in Alberta. Cut lines, single track, incredible big hills, alpine riding, this area has it all. It is too bad this area has abused by people with no respect for our riding areas. Every May Long Weekend, the parting kids leave a huge mess and of course there is alot of pressure to have that area closed. Also goes by the Ghost district. :)

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lots of activity in that area for sure. Very hot political spot in the Calgary area. Team Green loves to point that area out as a benchmark of what OHVs do to the environment. I helped out one weekend years ago with a group of people from each user group and we cleaned up some area and built some stuff to upgrade staging areas and a bike trail for mountain bikers. Right now there is a management plan being put together or may be done on what can that area be used for. At one time there was a government built snowmobile trail system in place. Dont know what happened to those trails as there is no sled club directly in that area. Someone will report on this area please.

steve k

Reaction score
Can not believe no one has posted on this area. Bar none best dirt biking spot in Alberta. Cut lines, single track, incredible big hills, alpine riding, this area has it all. It is too bad this area has abused by people with no respect for our riding areas. Every May Long Weekend, the parting kids leave a huge mess and of course there is alot of pressure to have that area closed. Also goes by the Ghost district. :)

very true great riding and fairly close

I'vegotthenutz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grew up in sundre, I used to ride around limestone mt alot, anywhere west of town is a good time..:D

Born2Ride

Reaction score
What do you mean. We have dirt biked all across that area last summer, and have up to date maps, that show all the trail intersections being numbered etc, but do not remember any closures.
Can you expand on that?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Contact SRD in your area and look into it for us. I have heard of meetings going on some time ago but usually meetings mean that the decisions are all ready made. Seems that when you go and state your views it just goes to the scrap pile with the rest of them. Most of the decisions are all made before the plan is even started. You can try but very hard to make a difference in any management plan. Am I overnegative on this topic? 20 yrs trying to make changes to whatever the Gov. is planning you begin to learn things

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Contact SRD in your area and look into it for us. I have heard of meetings going on some time ago but usually meetings mean that the decisions are all ready made. Seems that when you go and state your views it just goes to the scrap pile with the rest of them. Most of the decisions are all made before the plan is even started. You can try but very hard to make a difference in any management plan. Am I overnegative on this topic? 20 yrs trying to make changes to whatever the Gov. is planning you begin to learn things

Ya there is closed trails there, but they arnt marked very well so you never know. I know that area well. I know it well enough to ride from fallen timer to rocky if a guy wanted.

KDX MIKE

Reaction score
I DID SOME RIDING BY MOUNTAIN AIRE LODGE TWO YEARS AGO AND THERE WERE SOME PRETTY GOOD BIKING TRAILS. STEEP HILLS , SOME SINGLE TRACK AND EASILLY AVOIDABLE MUD. BUT EVEN THEN THEY WERE SHUTTING DOWN SOME OF THAT AREA.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went quadding there years ago..nice place awesome trails..there is a trail going to a place they call pretty rock..its on the top of a real high viewpoint..cant wait to go back..you need at least a week as there is so much to see..excellent random camping and if yer into fishing there are some nice little creeks everywhere..the trails are very steep with those sliding slate on them..its not too far from ghost airstrip which is a cool ride itself..:beer::beer:

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We camp up the Hunter Valley road every January.Quads ,sleds,chainsaws and big guns.Much less traffic----- no rules!

maddogmarr

Reaction score
Ya there is closed trails there, but they arnt marked very well so you never know. I know that area well. I know it well enough to ride from fallen timer to rocky if a guy wanted.

hi there I am trying to get maps for the fallen timber riding area can you help point me in the right direction?

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hi there I am trying to get maps for the fallen timber riding area can you help point me in the right direction?

If you have Garmin's Mapsource in/on your computer, you can get a free download MAP of the Ghost F L U Zone. from Alberta SRD- GPS Map Pilot Project. just do a searce and read the instructions. You can also follow maierch's post.:cool:

Bruce.

Top Bottom