"Fake News" hits the classroom.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fake news, fake product endorsements, fake boobs, how did it all start?

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very interesting and this can only get better and go further to help the cause. Can't come to Canada soon enough IMHO.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/in-the...-focusing-on-media-literacy-1.4275693?cmp=rss
Thanks for this FS. It is so easy to get BS out into the media that we all really need to develop a healthy BS radar. For some reason there is a certain part of the population that thinks something called Sharia law is coming to Canada. It is not but yet the rumour persists.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on the teacher. My wife already does this for her class. I know when I went to high school we had a teacher go through some critical thinking stuff, certainly clicked for me.

I mean, naive kids are one thing. But the way old people trust every god damn thing on facebook is astounding to me. I have to spam snopes on all my older relatives and friends posts because of the inane **** they spread. Thank god we have snowandmud, a bastion of good clean information and facts as god intended.

The trick of it all is who do you trust? Old media wants you to trust them because they have integrity and history, ie., you know which way they are going to slant but they won't lie. But time and again, ****posts get past their editors. Sometimes they like to stir up the pot. Sometimes they repeat some crap they found on facebook.

Keeping up with all sides of a story or following up with the debunking is time consuming and tedious. So we rely on stuff passed along by friends, hopefully they filtered some of this crap right? Not bloody likely, but we like to think they have. This is viral news and the virus comparison is apt. I don't know how many times I've seen complete BS spread by people on facebook, I point them at Snopes or what-have-you and they are like "oh lol I didn't actually believe it either", but then why the hell did they feel the need to spread the lies in the first place?

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny how a single post can change everyone's opinion. Couple years back someone posted on crack book that a fire was going to take out the power lines. By days end local businesses had signs posted, people were filling up everything they owned with gas and stores were packed, all because of a rumor that wasn't remotely true. But in todays world it doesn't have to be true, it just has to be out there in social media and the more clicks and likes and shares it get the more real and true it becomes.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally don't understand the FB posts about people (mostly celebrities) that have died. Last week people were sending condolences for the passing of the "Rock" (Dwayne Johnson) and he is still alive. What on earth makes a person to post such crap on a persons death when not true.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally don't understand the FB posts about people (mostly celebrities) that have died. Last week people were sending condolences for the passing of the "Rock" (Dwayne Johnson) and he is still alive. What on earth makes a person to post such crap on a persons death when not true.

Attention

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hit the nail on the head SWAT. Funny thing is that the person who starts the rumour doesn't really get any attention. It really is just gossip in it's new electronic form.

Yes gossip, but no one cares about the rumor mill. Funny thing is the same people that start this crap most commonly post about hating drama and how they wish people would mind their own business hahaha

Top Bottom