Fabricating a Turbo

rockEZ

Reaction score
hello im a college student that goes to college in indiana but loves to ride my M7 back home in alaska during my winter break. I am thinking about fabing a trubo for the sled since i just go done fabing one for my car. I was wondering if i could get your opinions on the parts i would need to turbo it with.

Questions:
1. how does a two stroke turbo get the oil it needs?
a. is the oil reserculated and what too?
2. are two stroke turbos liquid cooled or oil cooled?
3. what is a good turbo that i can by alone and not in a kit?
4. are there intercoolers on snowmachine turbo's?
a. what type of intercoolers would u recommend?
5. How much boost could i run safely on pump gas with stock m7 pistons, head, and cylinders?

sorry for all the questions i have been reaserching this for the last week but their is not much info on fabing up two stroke turbos. I have fabbed up a turbo for a car so i know i have the skills to pull this off i just would love some help searching for some knowledge. thanxs for all the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Fabing Turbo

hello im a college student that goes to college in indiana but loves to ride my M7 back home in alaska during my winter break. I am thinking about fabing a trubo for the sled since i just go done fabing one for my car. I was wondering if i could get your opinions on the parts i would need to turbo it with.

Questions:
5. How much boost could i run safely on pump gas with stock m7 pistons, head, and cylinders?

sorry for all the questions i have been reaserching this for the last week but their is not much info on fabing up two stroke turbos. I have fabbed up a turbo for a car so i know i have the skills to pull this off i just would love some help searching for some knowledge. thanxs for all the help.

if these are the kind of questions you are asking, you should ask yourself this. Do I know enough about 2 strokes and turbos to Fab up my own system?

rockEZ

Reaction score

Yeah i have asked my self that and i have answered my self with the answer yes. Now can u help me with some of my questions so i can get closer to the end goal or should i go searching else where for my answers? I know i could rig my self up with a decent turbo with what i know about them. I just know that with out help from the fellows here at snow and mud this task will take me three times as long and most likely being three times less reliable. So please if you have any info save me from some unhappy times so i can see you out on the slopes sooner.

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
X2. Sorry rock but these questions scare me. If you want to see everyone one the slopes and you are asking these questions then buy a kit and save yourself the headache. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything but by the sounds of it you really don't understand turbo plumbing well enough for a 2 stroke application. I understand that you think you can do it and with enough trial and error you probably can, but asking these questions and your want to get out on the snow sooner rather than later tell me to say, buy a kit.

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
But to answer your questions...

Questions:

From an oil pump

If it wasn't recirculated it would end up on the ground, so yes it is. An oil tank would be the most prudent apparatus to contain/return oil to.

Both, as both mediums will cool the bearings.

Garrett gt 2860 or 2871. I wouldn't normally recommend them, but in your case, maybe an aero charger to eliminate the need for an oiling/cooling system for the turbo charger. Go with the 66 series.

Yes but they are completely unnecessary for your application

None

5-6 psi depending on elevation. More boost then better fuel is needed.

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If he only wants to run pump gas on a M7 a Areo 53 series will be lots.
Your biggest issue will be a fuel controller.
You probably could make as much as 7-9 lbs of boost safely.
Good luck!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

there you have it . mynewuseddoo answered your questions. Now you know enough about stwo stroke turbos to give you the courage to build a turbo system for your M7. Like BDF#900 said your biggest problem wikk be getting a fuel controller and a fuel map that will keep you from blowing your engine.

Good luck and let use know how you make out.

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.highcountrytrailrides.ca.
I would suggest buying a kit. This way you get tec support in installing, and more importantly tuning. It's also cheaper.
I fabed my own system on my M8 last fall and it cost me more than a kit. Mine works well but I'm still changing minor stuff on it.

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little more checking and you might find a big bore kit for the M7 that will net you just as much HP with a lot less hassle, and not have all the hassle of trying to get all the pieces to work together.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gents...this guy I am sure appreciates your concern for his sled's health, but please don't stifle his creativity!

Keep us posted on the project if you decide to carry forward dude. I don't know if your mind is set on a certain amount of power, or set on a turbo....BDF has a valid point on a big bore kit as well.

cheers

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
Not trying to stifle his creativity. He said in his post that he is only home to ride during Christmas break and if he needs to know the basics like how a turbo gets oil to the bearings then Christmas break is definitely not enough time for him to build test tune and ride his machine.

Rock, I run the CPC stage 2 turbo kit. The quality fit and finish of the cutler product is beyond top notch and can be installed in a couple of days. The power and throttle response is amazing and it pulls like a freight train. If you need help tuning it I've got no problem giving you any info you need about this kit and Dale is extremely knowledgeable and always willing to answer questions. You won't be disappointed and will have much less headache. But, ultimately if you want to build then build. But if you want to ride during you short break then buy a kit.

Top Bottom