exploding clutch ?

tonysnowfreak

Reaction score
EVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS ???

After trail riding for about 10 miles near Grande Cache AB traveling around 20 MPH it felt like the belt was giving out... I gave it a little throttle and KABANG ! My drive clutch exploded into pieces. it broke open and smashed into at least 20 broken parts. At least 4 chunks pierced the belly pan, one of them wedging itself into the steering arm, and another bending and tearing the belt guard right off. Check out the pics and reply.

Tony

Attachments

• IMG_0940.jpg
    IMG_0940.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 210

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen a primary on older modded cat explode way back in renshaw. Some parts went through the bulkhead.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen a couple of primary clutches explode similar to that one. The reason was because a spark plug fell out of those spark plug holders that bolt on to the belt cover. The plug bounced up off the belly pan into the clutch and kaboom!

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did someone use a hammer to put it on? Couldn't see quite clearly but it looks like it was cracked for a little while. Metal fatigue possibly. How old is the clutch?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FINALLY i always wondered what primary sping you were running! lol jk..

is that a TRA?

either way never seen that but thats why i get so upset when i see people running without their belt guards. afterall that baby is spinning 8000rpm all day long

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What machine is this off of? What Does your clutch bolt look like and more important your crank PTO end? I had a clutch explode into little tiny pieces similar to this last year. However I think mine was a little more dramatic as their was no warning and I had it pinned when it went did alot of damage and sent me flying over the handlebars. Upon further inspection of mine the crank PTO end actually sheared. Their were creep marks 3/4s way across the PTO. Scary scary ch!t. Would never want it to happen again or see it happen to a guy, 8000rpm can cause alot of damage. Glad your ok. Tip: once you get back up and running ensure you have NO HOLES whatsoever in your belly pan. I spent half the year this year wondering why I was discinigrating belts. It was because of the poor patch job I did. Half a dozen belts later...

Top Bottom