exhaust valve delete

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been noticing threads about deleting exhaust valves. whats the benefit to doing the delete. also what engines are they being done to? is it something worth doing on the m8 engines? the kit i saw was for the m1000. anyone have any info?

tcase82

Reaction score
They are deleting the exhaust valves to eliminate the fail of power cables and the servo motor. You can get a kit from supreme power tools for $480 they are similar to the skidoo power valves. They eliminate the servo motor and put a chip there to make the ecu think the motor is still there and eliminate the cables which means no more stretched cables. Operate off your exhaust pressure and are lubricated by your sleds oil. Here is the link on them Arctic Cat Power Valve Sets - Piston Style - STM Power Sports
Also BDX makes a delete kit too. I will be doing the supreme tool one on my sled during off season.

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is it possible for cable to break and a valve to slide into the cylinder and stop the piston from full stroke to TDC? just sitting at work and wondering about the issue im haveing on my M8. inlaw was riding it, stopped and shut it off. had a smoke went to pullstart and locked up. turned the clutch forward and no go. turned backward and it moved ok. went to go forward again and again it locked up. no temp lights came on or warnings. thought maybe valve cable broke. possibly. i dont know as im at work and never got a chance to investigate.

Mayfly

Reaction score
That could be the primary, rollers could be piling up and wear a groove on your ramps. It will cause the primary to not release and grab your belt, making it hard to pull over. Had it happen on my sons 2010 M8.

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That could be the primary, rollers could be piling up and wear a groove on your ramps. It will cause the primary to not release and grab your belt, making it hard to pull over. Had it happen on my sons 2010 M8.
no thats not it unfortunately. belt was taken off upon the hill. wont turn forward with belt off

tcase82

Reaction score
is it possible for cable to break and a valve to slide into the cylinder and stop the piston from full stroke to TDC? just sitting at work and wondering about the issue im haveing on my M8. inlaw was riding it, stopped and shut it off. had a smoke went to pullstart and locked up. turned the clutch forward and no go. turned backward and it moved ok. went to go forward again and again it locked up. no temp lights came on or warnings. thought maybe valve cable broke. possibly. i dont know as im at work and never got a chance to investigate.
If the cable broke off and the valve fell in easiest way to diagnose it is take the cable from the servo motor and pull than release it and you should hear the valve move up and down and if the cable broke off then the cable will come out when you pull on it.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Valve can't hit the piston if the cable breaks. It hits a stop before it gets to that position.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take your y pipe off and take a look at your pistons that should give you a solid idea of what's going on. And I will also be doing the STM kit for one of my sleds seeing as I had a servo crap out and it's as much as the kit!

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pulling head off after a fluid drain will let you know for sure if your pistons are free. if they are, and no scoring on jugs, then probably crank bearings. complete engine pull and tear down. not cool

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cat makes a complete replacement engine for around $2500. IMO that is the way to go. start fresh.

Top Bottom