Exhaust removal AB/BC enforcement

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So a few guys I know are approaching 200 000 km fairly quickly on a couple of personal ford diesels, both trucks are starting to have emissions systems issues, urea heaters failing, DPF's clogging etc. Both trucks frequent AB/ BC on a regular basis. Please comment if you have facts on what the state of the union is on this. Are the enforcement personnel leaving guys alone?

PS I don't need a lecture on mother earth thanks

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure of the exact laws but I would say that guys will be left alone if they aren't being the one with a 5" straight through exhaust belching coal out like an old train. Everything in moderation is my view. Delete the emissions stuff, have a decent muffler in place and use a mild tune and all will be fine. Go blasting through the park at 100dB with coal rolling and you will get the book thrown at you for removing emissions items.

From what i have heard the only other guys targeted are ones running company stickers on their trucks which opens up the DOT's to pull them over easier for an inspection.

Just my thoughts. I am sure others will know the exact laws better than i do.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments and I agree with your thoughts, these trucks would be tuned for mileage and equipped with good mufflers.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments and I agree with your thoughts, these trucks would be tuned for mileage and equipped with good mufflers.

Yeah i don't think they would have an issue. In the future i can see our governments putting in emissions testing for registration renewal similar to what the US has but that is not in place yet.

Hate to sound like the fun police but I generally find that if you don't draw attention to yourself a guy can stay out of view pretty easily.

:beer:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being from BC and traveling back and forth between provinces for 15 years and having had deleted and tuned trucks its not normally a issue. When I was younger I use to get stopped more often for having full tint all the way around more then anything. In all honesty if your not rolling coal through every gear and at every start and stop 99% of the law wont be able to tell. Keep you stock exhaust tip and probably no one will be able to tell. If you are acting a fool and get stopped Johnny law might look into it but otherwise your safe. But like most goodies it is illegal.

D.C

Reaction score
I travel between BC and Alberta every couple of weeks and haven't had any issue. Tuned hot with a decent muffler. I have been warned about not having a cover on my light bar though.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Delete them. Thats fine , but for the rest of our sake please put a fair sized muffler and a non restrictive resonator on the truck. this give it the tone your looking for but makes it so you can stand beside it while its driving by. Plz dont contribute to ruining it for the rest.

Big muffler is a requirement. Agreed on that!

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I deleted my 13 6.7 cummins the minute i got it home. I used EFI live for efficient smokeless tunes, and 4 inch flow pro exhaust with the 32 inch muffler. It was still to loud in the cab and out so i put a flo pro high flow twister resonator rite off the down pipe and it is much better . Same cummins sound but at a DB that is more the appropriate. I believe everyone should have something similar to this as i hate the stereotype we get from all the rest of the berta boys with the obnoxious exhaust and smoke tunes and less then desirable driving behavior.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware you are not required to have emissions equipment intact in Alberta on a personal vehicle, only on a commercial vehicle as required by the CVIP requirements. The only time i have heard of someone having issues is when blowing clouds of black smoke and that individual was issued a stunting ticket.

This is all I can find in the Alberta Vehicle Regulation Part 61 pertains to exhaust, basically just no loud muffler or over sized exhaust.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_122.pdf

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you delete DO NOT sell the dpf/scr!! Go ahead and do the delete with a good tune. Use common sense. At some point you may have to reinstall everything so keep it in good shape when removing it all. Don't take the saw and cut it all out.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you delete DO NOT sell the dpf/scr!! Go ahead and do the delete with a good tune. Use common sense. At some point you may have to reinstall everything so keep it in good shape when removing it all. Don't take the saw and cut it all out.

of course.. right to the shed... back up plans are always good

northof40

Reaction score
My old 08 dodge has been deleted since 2010, 5 inch with a flo pro twister resonator. Havent been bothered anywhere before (although im not blowing smoke everywhere like an idiot) and it spends a good amount of time in BC. Actually got a comment from a cop one time walking into Tim's.. said it had a nice sound.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5" straight w/200hp clean tune is what was on all my powerstrokes and Duramax's kept it quite through towns never had a truck belching black smoke but there ok with it. our rcmp in pincher 2 of the members have newer dmax trucks w/5" straight pipes and EFI they say not an issue unless the guy is being an idiot then they will haul ya over. only problem with most mufflers on the aftermarket kits is there straight through there really no different from a straight pipe in sound after a few thousand miles. quitest muffler is the diamond eye quite tone its HUGE! But very silent

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"quietest muffler is the diamond eye quiet tone its HUGE!"

Well big is usually better. Isn't that why some of us have these giant trucks? Might as well have a muffler to match :)

Top Bottom