Excitement missing for automated vehicles: survey

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Excitement missing for automated vehicles: survey
While carmakers seem to be hyped up about the idea of self-driving vehicles, it seems there is a sizeable number of consumers who don’t share the same excitement, according to a recent survey.A CarGurus survey found that nearly four in five (79 per cent) car owners are not excited about self-driving cars. Further, 84 per cent of car owners say they definitely will not or probably will not own a self-driving car in the next 5 years and 59 per cent say the same for a 10-year window.More than 1,800 people in the U.S. were surveyed in April.When it comes to trust, 27 per cent don’t put faith in any company. About a quarter, 24 per cent, trust Tesla, with 9 per cent trusting Toyota, 6 per cent with General Motors and 5 per cent for Waymo, Google’s self-driving venture.Why? Safety seems to be a top concern. After the survey came out, reports of Tesla crashing while in Autopilot mode came to the forefront. There was also the recent fatality from the Uber incident, which happened shortly before the survey took place.More than 80 per cent of respondents said safety was their biggest concern, with another 47 per cent noting that the technology is not ready. On the other hand, safety was noted by 64 per cent of those who were excited about self-driving vehicles, with having a productive commute appealing to 58 per cent of respondents.“The data showed strong opinions and overall trepidation about self-driving cars,” said Madison Gross, senior manager of consumer insights at CarGurus. “As is often the case with new technology, exposure seems to build comfort. Even though some early adopters are very excited about self-driving cars, the majority of the general public will need time to become more comfortable around them.”

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not surprised more people aren't all that excited about loosing thier jobs to robots...lol

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There isn't much excitement to be a good driver either.....can't win.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Self driving cars will have to be highly taxed to offset the lost revenue currently generated by speeding tickets and other infractions. it will be a real yawner to be driven by a robot. Oh well, can catch up on my sleep.

• Staff

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
self driving cars will have to be highly taxed to offset the lost revenue currently generated by speeding tickets and other infractions. It will be a real yawner to be driven by a robot. Oh well, can catch up on my sleep.

bah... There's enough time for sleep when we die....

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple guy at work love the idea.
Myself. I hate it. They way it is already people aren't driving they simply "pilot" their vehicles.

Power steering
ABS
Traction control
Back up cameras
Back up alarms

Convenient but they each take away a certain skill set older driver's used to have.

My '65 you feel everything. On rough wash board she'll rip the wheel out of your hands. Hit the same road with my '07 I can do twice the speed two fingers on the wheel.

I like the old tech in cars better.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why???? Self driving cars, automatic transmissions, back up cameras, backup and parking assist?
Whats wrong with a 5 speed bolted to a V8 engine, it doesnt matter if its in a truck or a car, thats enjoyment.

“I Fear the day that technology will produce a generation of Idiots”
Albert Einstein

Reactions: RXN

Halon60

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why???? Self driving cars, automatic transmissions, back up cameras, backup and parking assist?
Whats wrong with a 5 speed bolted to a V8 engine, it doesnt matter if its in a truck or a car, thats enjoyment.

“I Fear the day that technology will produce a generation of Idiots”
Albert Einstein

Too late

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
t5385_1__35296.1333396954.380.500.jpg

lol

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Sooooo, anyone have a new vehicle with r1234 refrigerant? Any r1234 systems needing recharged require at minimum $600 to recharge your system, and most dealers don't have the newest stuff yet... The newest r747 systems require wearing a bomb suit and extreme safety guidelines to recharge a system(some european imports have this already) as it is very explosive.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ll get excited when it’s mandated that new Canadians have to have autonomous vehicles!

Top Bottom