Excessive play in the secondary

Skyhigh

Reaction score
Was riding on the weekend and was pulling a big hill. About three quarters up the sled revved to the moon and went no where. I thought I blew the belt or the chain but the belt was fine and I rode down and the sled drove fine. I checked the sled at the bottom and noticed alot of forward and back motion in the secondary clutch. Does this indicate a really loose chain?, or is there something wrong in the clutch.:confused:

Oh yeah sled is an 03 900 1m.

Fishtank

Reaction score
Was riding on the weekend and was pulling a big hill. About three quarters up the sled revved to the moon and went no where. I thought I blew the belt or the chain but the belt was fine and I rode down and the sled drove fine. I checked the sled at the bottom and noticed alot of forward and back motion in the secondary clutch. Does this indicate a really loose chain?, or is there something wrong in the clutch.:confused:

Oh yeah sled is an 03 900 1m.

Forward and back play? As in towards the front of the sled and towards the back of the sled?? Sounds like the bearing might be shot.

Or did you mean in and out play? (towards the engine, and away from the engine?)

Otherwise the belt can slip if you get snow in the air vents and onto the clutch/belt, usually happens in deep pow and not on a big climb (unless your doing a big climb in deep pow I guess)

Skyhigh

Reaction score
The play I'm talking about is if you grab the clutch and try to turn it forward and back you get about 1 to 2" of play before the clutch tries to turn the track to move the sled forward or back.

Skyhigh

Reaction score
Tightened the chain and got rid of the excess play. Hopefully that was the problem, time will tell.

Top Bottom