Ever see titanium arm fail like this?

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
remove the good A arm and inspect it are the bushing a tight fit ?

at first I figured the bushing were pressed in and possibly to tight for the A arm and stretched or cracked it

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
remove the good A arm and inspect it are the bushing a tight fit ?

at first I figured the bushing were pressed in and possibly to tight for the A arm and stretched or cracked it

Tomorrow I'll take the other off and inspect it. Good idea on that. With the tensile strength of titanium that might've caused the problem if it has the pressure on it already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It looks like an expansion issue from the bushing(s) or maybe they were too tight to begin with. Have you inspected the other side?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
It looks like an expansion issue from the bushing(s) or maybe they were too tight to begin with. Have you inspected the other side?

Looked at the other side didn't see any cracks, but tomorrow I'm going to remove it and check more thoroughly.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Water in the bushing / pivot joint, froze, expanded, popped open the Ti sleeve? I would contact the manufacturer. I know a riding buddy broke his nearly new Ti arm and he is sending it back for repair/replacement.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Water in the bushing / pivot joint, froze, expanded, popped open the Ti sleeve? I would contact the manufacturer. I know a riding buddy broke his nearly new Ti arm and he is sending it back for repair/replacement.

Yeah definitely going to call dan at alt impact tomorrow. I called already but it's a weekend I didn't expect him to answer. He's been good before so hopefully he can help me out. Sled has been outside and tarred, don't think water could've gotten into them.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear you're getting support. Has he seen this happen before?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Good to hear you're getting support. Has he seen this happen before?

I never asked I will ask him tomorrow. Never had a chance to go out and take the other arm off inspect it. Had company come over. I'll double check tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

znowman_9

Reaction score
Maybe the fabricator struck an arc on that side sleeve and then rolled it accidentally and welded it out not noticing till the end. Later he ground and grained it out. Stray arc strikes are generally not good and leave a hardened area.

Last edited:

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Maybe the fabricator struck an arc on that side sleeve and then rolled it accidentally and welded it out not noticing till the end. Later he ground and grained it out. Stray arc strikes are generally not good hardened area.

Took the other one off and can't see really anything. The bushings seem like they're aluminum. But the one bust arm is definitely tweaked a bit now I forgot to call and ask if he's ever seen this before though
56810723ac08b4f6f631e10182c59c0e.jpg

The one tube is bent down or up

Can see in this photo that there is an ever so slight sway on the reflection where the cross tube is welded on.

znowman_9

Reaction score
Yeesh. Ti is quite the element. It's great yield strength but ductility is isn't great. Weigh for weight with steel it's many times stronger. Just the way physics works. Weldin it is a bit similar to ss. Especially in cosmetic or grained stainless, You can hide your arc strikes completely with some 60 grit emery cloth then red and grey scotch bright. Other than The welds look great with nice finish. Either manu. Defect, material defect or you just took to the limit.

znowman_9

Reaction score
Unobtanium welding specializes in ti in Langdon, AB. Likely some of the steadiest hands in the land.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yeesh. Ti is quite the element. It's great yield strength but ductility is isn't great. Weigh for weight with steel it's many times stronger. Just the way physics works. Weldin it is a bit similar to ss. Especially in cosmetic or grained stainless, You can hide your arc strikes completely with some 60 grit emery cloth then red and grey scotch bright. Other than The welds look great with nice finish. Either manu. Defect, material defect or you just took to the limit.

Lol I hope that a 15km/h Suspension movement isn't its limit or these are going for sale. I think for the time being I'm going to take them off and put on the stock Suspension for now. That way I can still move the sled around. Doubt it's going to be ridden this year.

allrevsrule

Reaction score
I have two Ti. Alt Dan sleds , two with Ti. fronts, and one rear Ti skid . 2008 still going and retarded Km's on it ! Never a issue, Dan will absolutley work with you ! He as always treated me very good. Yes that is a strange break ??????

Top Bottom