Ever see titanium arm fail like this?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
f44c6cc1dae38ee08f0b689f08e944c1.jpg

This happened going over a one foot tall drift when the front end came back down(one foot off the snow) the one side didn't stop I was going like 15km/h, glad I wasn't going anywhere fast. This was literally the sled was first time moving under its own power on snow in three years so it's not even tuned or clutched at all. Was just moving it away from my shop to clear snow and took a detour around the farm there was one snow drift and just my luck. These are Alternative Impact Titanium arms for the m-series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170115/f44c6cc1dae38ee08f0b689f08e944c1.jpg

This happened going over a one foot tall drift when the front end came back down(one foot off the snow) the one side didn't stop I was going like 15km/h, glad I wasn't going anywhere fast. This was literally the sled was first time moving under its own power on snow in three years so it's not even tuned or clutched at all. Was just moving it away from my shop to clear snow and took a detour around the farm there was one snow drift and just my luck. These are Alternative Impact Titanium arms for the m-series.

I can't see any pictures???
How do you know they are titanium? Is it because they said so?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I can't see any pictures???
How do you know they are titanium? Is it because they said so?

Well bought them as titanium arms, I would assume they are titanium. Especially basing it on the weight, all 4 arms weigh the same as one stock lower control arm.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well bought them as titanium arms, I would assume they are titanium. Especially basing it on the weight, all 4 arms weigh the same as one stock lower control arm.

Titanium has a very weak magnetic field, meaning a magnet will stick to it but very weakly to very little you can test it with a magnet.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Titanium has a very weak magnetic field, meaning a magnet will stick to it but very weakly to very little you can test it with a magnet.

I just tried a magnet and i couldn't feel a magnetic pull. Could be just the magnet I was using. Tried using a bigger heavier magnet but then it was hard to tell if it was the magnets weight or the magnetic field

The only thing I can see is that the material up at the part that broke was a lot thinner gauge then the part that bolts to the spindle. Probably half the thickness.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the chromoly a arms from alt impact. They came with a white plastic bushing that needed to be pressed in. Did you install them?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Titanium is really brittle, I have seen many shear off really easy.

i would never run titanium a arms, unless you have a 850 maybe.

total junk imo

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I bought the chromoly a arms from alt impact. They came with a white plastic bushing that needed to be pressed in. Did you install them?

Mine came with a bushing pre installed. That bushing stayed around the stock Cat bushing on my bulkhead. But the titanium ripped right through it.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Titanium is really brittle, I have seen many shear off really easy.

i would never run titanium a arms, unless you have a 850 maybe.

total junk imo

Yeah I think i found that out. But just looking at the design, where the arm bolts to the spindle it is twice as thick as the tubing used for where it bolts to the bulkhead. If it was the same thickness it doubt I would've had this problem. Makes me sick knowing a $300 arm just popped from a 1 foot snowbank at 15km/h

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just tried a magnet and i couldn't feel a magnetic pull. Could be just the magnet I was using. Tried using a bigger heavier magnet but then it was hard to tell if it was the magnets weight or the magnetic field

The only thing I can see is that the material up at the part that broke was a lot thinner gauge then the part that bolts to the spindle. Probably half the thickness.

I would think then they are titanium then, as a magnet won't really stick. Like i said titanium has a very weak magnetic field.
It is a strange break, considering A-arms at the pivot points should have no out ward tension on them. Your's look's like it was torn off, away from the sled.
The only way i see that happening is if your A-arm over traveled for its intended design. Are you using an aftermarket shock or modified shock?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I would think then they are titanium then, as a magnet won't really stick. Like i said titanium has a very weak magnetic field.
It is a strange break, considering A-arms at the pivot points should have no out ward tension on them. Your's look's like it was torn off, away from the sled.
The only way i see that happening is if your A-arm over traveled for its intended design. Are you using an aftermarket shock or modified shock?

Everything is stock. Didn't even bend the shock either. I wasn't going fast enough lol

Only thing that's different is Simmons gen 1 skis and titanium shock springs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, stock 40" stance fox zero pros. I've went through every possible scenario with it as well. The only thing different is the skis and the shock springs.

The shock springs, when you swapped them out did you retain your rubber stoppers on the shaft's?
Were the springs softer?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The shock springs, when you swapped them out did you retain your rubber stoppers on the shaft's?

The rubber stoppers are still there around the shaft. Used the same shock retainers, the same bolts, the same bushings.

Top Bottom