Ever had the cops called on you for ditch-banging?

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out riding the ditches yesterday with a couple buddies. We staged from my house in a residential area on the edge of town. On the way home about 2 km from my house i notice this honda CRV driving really slow and watching us from a distance and following us every turn we make back to my house. I thought it was some chinese guy lost but then i saw the Chit-eating-grin as he did the U-Turn in my cul-de-sac and got my house number. Apparently he was impressed with his 'detective' skills as he got my address.
Can the cops show up to my house and give me a ticket based on a citizens report of us riding sleds on City property?

crazy apex

Reaction score
i am from stony plain and we live a block away from a farmers feild and we are not supposed to ride from my house but we do and i know they can give me a ticket but they have to catch us first im not going to haul my sleds one block and unload

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd have gotten in my truck and followed the Honda home.

I don't think the cops would do much unless you did it right in front of them. City by-law dead beats might give you a hard time.

If RCMP can't charge you for having a stolen sled parked in your front yard then how are they going to charge you for tracks in your front yard?

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i live in north edmonton, never had a problem, i even ride to the two gas stations to fill up, same as all the quads do!!

i do the same thing south side, go from my brothers in summerside, we just keep it low keep, no burping the exhaust as we all have cans, and stay off private residential property.

There is a empty field behind my place, one guy up the road him and his buddys quad, another guy two wheels, another guy has a jeep, who cares, as long as it isint late at night it should bother anyone.

and i would have jumped in my truck and follwed him, whereever he went.
the type of person who drives a crv would not like a big black truck following them!!

albertagal500

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is something else to think about. He might just wanted to know where he could get his next sled.

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, i dont think he wanted my sleds. The guy was a nerdy looking dude. I should have folowed him in my vehicle... Good idea for next time!

I live in SW Edmonton and it was the Henday we were riding.
Funny thing was i saw this douche bag stopped on a side road on the way home, waiting for us to go by then creeped along 'incognito'. He wasted about 15 minutes of his time. What a loser.......!! Nothing better to do. I would have been more upset if a cop did show up on my doorstep. They have more important things to do than that. Like solving murders in my neighborhood (MacEwan).

I really wish he would have stopped in for a 'chat'

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, i dont think he wanted my sleds. The guy was a nerdy looking dude. I should have folowed him in my vehicle... Good idea for next time!

I live in SW Edmonton and it was the Henday we were riding.
Funny thing was i saw this douche bag stopped on a side road on the way home, waiting for us to go by then creeped along 'incognito'. He wasted about 15 minutes of his time. What a loser.......!! Nothing better to do. I would have been more upset if a cop did show up on my doorstep. They have more important things to do than that. Like solving murders in my neighborhood (MacEwan).

I really wish he would have stopped in for a 'chat'

Don't be surprised if you have the cop's or by-law coming around more often in the next few day's/week's when or if the guy does complain. And yes if he does complain the cop's can present you with a ticket as long as the guy can provide an address, time and description of the OHV you were riding.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
Don't be surprised if you have the cop's or by-law coming around more often in the next few day's/week's when or if the guy does complain. And yes if he does complain the cop's can present you with a ticket as long as the guy can provide an address, time and description of the OHV you were riding.

Not too sure bout his…whatever happed to being caught in the act? A hearsay account of you (impossible to prove it was you) riding a sled in the city by someone would never stand up in court. Tracks or no tracks address or no address I’m sure have to be caught riding it to be fined.

What say you and your neighbour hate each other and he is a d16khead and knows you have sleds or ATVs …what pain he could cause you if he just kept calling the heat even though you never pulled off your property.

Now…you might get a knock on the door if enough people complain a be handed a verbal warning but I do not think they can write you up based on someone else’s observation.

Phone 780.423.4567 and ask!!

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's nice in Sylvan, we can drive sleds and quads on the streets as long as your going point "A" to point "B" and you go no more than 20 kliks.

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ya, I dont think that can happen. Anyone could accuse anyone of riding and then sit back and let you waste your time and go to court to fight it. (McCarthyism)
That would waste a TON of the courts time and tax payers money and makes no sense.

I think your right about a by-law officer coming to my house though with a 'warning'......... I will keep you all posted if so.

snochro

Reaction score
Just keep riding, we have too many laws. Pretty soon youll be fined for farting too much.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plead not guilty and fight it. The person that complained will have to show up in court as a witness. I bet the individual dosn't show up! If there is no one there as a witness, you should have no problem. Unless you admitted to the police officer it was you...

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think this would be up to the discretion of the cop/bylaw officer. Had a similar incident in my youth. If your not being a dick it probably won't be an issue even if they show up at your door. Likely a warning.

Hey, maybe this guy felt so good about his powertripping he went and lost a load.

162SKIDOO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buddy riding up by hwy 44 north toward westlock just got a no insurance on his old sled and two no registration fines....his son was crapping...bylaw cop.
real crime fighter.

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not too sure bout his…whatever happed to being caught in the act? A hearsay account of you (impossible to prove it was you) riding a sled in the city by someone would never stand up in court. Tracks or no tracks address or no address I’m sure have to be caught riding it to be fined.

What say you and your neighbour hate each other and he is a d16khead and knows you have sleds or ATVs …what pain he could cause you if he just kept calling the heat even though you never pulled off your property.

Now…you might get a knock on the door if enough people complain a be handed a verbal warning but I do not think they can write you up based on someone else’s observation.

Phone 780.423.4567 and ask!!
they can, and they will if they want too!!!!! had buddy get pulled over on the #2 by ponoka after passing a guy that was doing 80 km/h in the fast lane, and staying right beside another car. buddy after a while, decides to pass on the shoulder and off we go. 15 mins later, we get pulled over and handed a big ol ticket for dangerous driving, even though the cops never actually saw it. so buddy went to court, figuring the guy wouldn't show, as he was probably just a tourist on his way somehwere. NOPE, he was there, and buddy got nailed with fines and big points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom