EV charging data....

Skyhigh

Reaction score
What no one else mentions in the EV grid issue is the fact that most households have 2 or more cars. Good luck charging both cars after a work day. The grid will be stressed to the max.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't worry. I work for a company that supplies exploration drillers/mining. The lithium search has all but died in North America. From a segment that was a huge sales percentage to just about zero in the last few months.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isnt gm dropping thier ev line up?

No more E hummer ext.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny how a 50 amp stove can be wired into that panel, but not a 50 amp EV charger.

Stove doesnt draw 50 amps. But maybe you can. Depends how much other chit you have wired to it

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stove doesnt draw 50 amps. But maybe you can. Depends how much other chit you have wired to it

I think that's it, it's an electrical code thing.

Not that most people would need 50 amp, 20 would easily run peoples daily driving.

Not that it matters to me, EV won't work for us, at least not yet.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not that most people would need 50 amp, 20 would easily run peoples daily driving.

Any way you look at it. Most people are going to have to spend$$$ to plug the chit in at home. Not to mention major power infrustructor upgrades that will cost everyone$$$

And apartment people are just fuct i guess

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca

With a 50 amp charger you would take 8 hrs to charge to 96kw/h. My wife’s kiln is 48 amps and is a very cyclical load. It’s been a year now with her kiln at home and our power bill has jumped by about 400$ a month. The kiln only runs about 2-3 times a week on average and runs about 8-10 hrs. Charging a car at 50 amps daily will break a guy.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With a 50 amp charger you would take 8 hrs to charge to 96kw/h. My wife’s kiln is 48 amps and is a very cyclical load. It’s been a year now with her kiln at home and our power bill has jumped by about 400$ a month. The kiln only runs about 2-3 times a week on average and runs about 8-10 hrs. Charging a car at 50 amps daily will break a guy.

But most people wouldn't use a full 96kw/h in a day, in the same way most of us don't burn a full tank of fuel per day.

My commute is 24km roundtrip, using an F150 lightning I'd be about 8kw/h per day in the summer and 15kw/h per day in the winter. At my electricity rates I'd be paying about $1000/year to drive back and forth to work. Which is just over half what I currently pay in diesel.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
But most people wouldn't use a full 96kw/h in a day, in the same way most of us don't burn a full tank of fuel per day.

My commute is 24km roundtrip, using an F150 lightning I'd be about 8kw/h per day in the summer and 15kw/h per day in the winter. At my electricity rates I'd be paying about $1000/year to drive back and forth to work. Which is just over half what I currently pay in diesel.
ya if your in the city it might make sense but I’m in the country about 15min west of brooks. I drive anywhere from 300-500km/day. I would need 2 chargers at home as my wife needs to go to town and my son is a year away from his full license. There’s no way I would consider my wife leaving home with a half battery. Vehicles would be plugged in every night and I wouldn’t make a day on a charge with my truck and all the tools I haul.

Why would you drive a diesel for a 24km commute. That’s got to be so hard on that engine. I would drive a sh!t box civic or something for that.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya if your in the city it might make sense but I’m in the country about 15min west of brooks. I drive anywhere from 300-500km/day. I would need 2 chargers at home as my wife needs to go to town and my son is a year away from his full license. There’s no way I would consider my wife leaving home with a half battery. Vehicles would be plugged in every night and I wouldn’t make a day on a charge with my truck and all the tools I haul.

Why would you drive a diesel for a 24km commute. That’s got to be so hard on that engine. I would drive a sh!t box civic or something for that.

Okay, so you're driving habits aren't like most people, which was the caveat in my reply.

Why not drive a diesel? It gets regular oil changes, and still gets the oil hot enough to boil off any condensation every trip. Haven't had an issue with it yet. It can sit in my driveway and depreciate, or I can drive it the 7,000km a year it sees commuting and take almost the same hit in depreciation. And not have another vehicle to maintain, license or insure.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny how a 50 amp stove can be wired into that panel, but not a 50 amp EV charger.
not really? it amounts to how long you going to wait for the EV POS to charge! and not be able to power anything else?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And if you plug your EV in at -20 and colder on a 120v 15amp circuit your EV battery will not be charged at all but losing 1% charge per hour.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What voltage are the fast chargers? They must be crazy voltage to keep the amps down. Just did the power calculation on my place. I have 220v with a 100amp service. That gives me a maximum of 22.000w or 22kw. Those chargers must be at 600v at least but that still is crazy amps.
The low voltage supply to those commercial fast chargers are going to be either 600 or 480 volt three phase systems depending where in the province they are. To calculate the amperage draw it is wattage divided by the system voltage x the square root of 3. It is unrealistic to believe you can run a charger of that size on 120/240 volt single phase system.

I don't know if any exist with medium voltage voltage supply which would be 4,16, 7.2 or 6.9 kV systems. Getting amperage down to lower numbers by having higher voltage and three phases allows for smaller equipment and wires.

Very few homes in Alberta have a three phase supply to them but there are some mansions that do.

For context, my shswap home is all electric (heating, cooking, hot water) on a 200 amp 240V single phase service that is loaded to the max (taking into acccount CEC derating calculations) and last billing period average daily consumption was 135 kWHRS

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh look what if found, guess who said this??? I guess you forgot about that note to yourself.

Note to self. Do not try to charge at -18 with the wimpy 120v charger. I will be installing a welder plug at the in-laws house next time I go.

And this.

Yes but 120v is very slow. It is basically useless when it’s -25.

Last edited:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So riddle me this, why can't we build more natural gas powerplants to handle this extra load?

There's good money in constructing, maintaining and operating them.

Massive restriction on natural gas consumption, big users like us are already having to curtail production due to main line pressure situations. That coupled with the ever increasing carbon tax it’s just not feasible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom