Ethanol eating gaskets?

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
07 800 Can Am outlander. Last Oct, I changed the fuel pump,gaskets and hoses.Then ended up not using the machine for the winter. Put 153 kms on it this spring when I noticed fuel leaking from the fuel pump area. The gasket appears to be swollen and soft. Also the fuel hose that had fuel on it is also vert soft and swollen. Without pressurizing the tank, I can't tell exactly where the fuel is leaking from. It sat with Husky gas in it over the winter then ran on Shell premium this spring. I'm a little hesitant to use the same gasket and hoses again if they are non ethanol compliant and if that is the issue in the first place. Anyone have this problem or hear of this issue with CanAm parts before? Thanks.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ethanol can cause seal failures, thus the reason its not great stuff for 2stroke motors. But in a 4stroke such as your outlander its realy no worst then putting it in your car.
Gas now days all have approx. 10% ethanol in it, so Husky or Cheveron, its unlikely the fuel thats the issue but more the gasket and hose. Personnaly i would replace the parts and go again and not worry about it, unless it happens again.
Yes i have had it happen to me before but only with old fuel that sat for a long long time.....well over a year.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Lund. I've got the parts on order so I'll be trying it again. Certainly seemed odd considering that I've had no issues since the quad is an 07. I would assume the gasket material the same.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do not recommend husky gas to anyone that does not ride their machines at least once a week. And defineatly not in a 2 stroke application at all. Husky can say what they want about ethanol content in their fuel but ive seen the effects more than once of husky fuel sitting in fuel systems for extended periods of time vs the competition and its never good.

Deano

MAD MOTORSPORTS

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRP. Stock parts. BRP rejected a warranty claim as it is past their 90 day parts warranty period. They also claim not to have had this issue before.

Last edited:

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an update for anyone interested. Gasket has been changed twice now since the fuel pump was changed. The gaskets last about 1 week before they start to leak again. Checked the tank for warpage also. The second gasket was torqued to spec-18 in. lbs. The last gasket was installed with the tank pressurized. bolts were tightened until all leaks were stopped. Lasted about 8 days. Brp has now offered to update the fuel tank to the newer design which has the pump installed in the top of the tank. Waiting for parts to arrive so we can attempt the retro-fit.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an update for anyone interested. Gasket has been changed twice now since the fuel pump was changed. The gaskets last about 1 week before they start to leak again. Checked the tank for warpage also. The second gasket was torqued to spec-18 in. lbs. The last gasket was installed with the tank pressurized. bolts were tightened until all leaks were stopped. Lasted about 8 days. Brp has now offered to update the fuel tank to the newer design which has the pump installed in the top of the tank. Waiting for parts to arrive so we can attempt the retro-fit.

So now BRP is now admited to having a problem, a problem they claimed was never an issue....haha. Like i said ethanol is in all pump fuel now so i doubt that is the problem. Its more a gasket incompatibility issue or design flaw issue.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i thought ethanol fuel just gunks up the fuel system if it sits to long or is too old?

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So now BRP is now admited to having a problem, a problem they claimed was never an issue....haha. Like i said ethanol is in all pump fuel now so i doubt that is the problem. Its more a gasket incompatibility issue or design flaw issue.
Brp is not admitting to having a problem per say, I think they are doing this to appease myself and another guy with the same issue and to possibly avoid a recall. I filled the tank with Shell premium [non-ethanol] immediately after leaving the dealership so I also think that it is a gasket material issue.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ethanol is not in all pump fuel at least not at shell and esso stations in alberta

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I understand,Shell premium is the only non-ethanol fuel available.

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brp is not admitting to having a problem per say, I think they are doing this to appease myself and another guy with the same issue and to possibly avoid a recall. I filled the tank with Shell premium [non-ethanol] immediately after leaving the dealership so I also think that it is a gasket material issue.

Sounds like Polaris, they never recall just offer upgrades at your expense.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hope this fixes your problem. Good for BRP to upgrade and help you out. I can smell gas on my Outlander 500 07. May need to check a bit closer.

Top Bottom