Engine Noise, rattling

BrandonSK

Reaction score
Just wonder if anyone would have some input, I have a noise in the engine that I thought sounded like a wrist pin for the piston. Compression is 120psi a side. I brought my stethescope home and listen to each cylinder, no real noise coming from them.

When I put the scope on the Y-Pipe I heard this clanging noise, the exact noise you hear just listening to the engine. Could my exhaust valves be the culprit.

Thanks A ton
B

P.S. Forgot the mention I only listened to it when it was idling and rev'd up a bit

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your primary clutch,friend of mine a few years ago his engine was making rattling noise and it was the spring broken on the primary.

BrandonSK

Reaction score
I will go out and take a quick peak, I will let ya know in about 20 mins

BrandonSK

Reaction score
I tried to see if I could see anything but it was starting to get a little dark . I will have to look tomorrow. Even if Im really hearing the clanging noise it still could be in the clutch??

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have you checked the crank?
My thoughts exactly.
Sounds like mine did was inner crank bearing. Just a note that if it is have your cases machined for correct toleranced for squish on he brgs. Also put the pto wide brg kit in. Presisce engines in Sask. did mine.

BrandonSK

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly.
Sounds like mine did was inner crank bearing. Just a note that if it is have your cases machined for correct toleranced for squish on he brgs. Also put the pto wide brg kit in. Presisce engines in Sask. did mine.

When your bearings went, did it still run fine?

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will run fine untill they come apart, thats usually followed by a large "bang" and its on to the foot-mobile back home.

BrandonSK

Reaction score
It will run fine untill they come apart, thats usually followed by a large "bang" and its on to the foot-mobile back home.

Well I guess I better be doing them...the footmobile doesnt move fast enough

BrandonSK

Reaction score
Well I have come to a conclusion. I think Im just going to rip apart the whole and rebuild. I would rather know that I did a full rebuild and not have to worry about. Hell if Im going to do this, anyone recommend a big bore kit for it?

Luvinit

Reaction score
If you,re rebuilding you should get the double bearing kit done, those 800,s tended to break cranks without this. Not sure who all does this, you might have to call around or check on snowest. I think SLP does.

Top Bottom