Engine kit break in period

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi. Lots of you have installed engine kits, 860s, 880s, 872s. Is there a significant break in period required on any/all of these kits? By significant I mean not being able to hold it wide open for any amount of time for the first 300kms. I can handle not being able to go WOT for 10-15 seconds at a time or more, but I can't see being able to putz around for 2 weekend trips. Any help would be helpful. ;-)

Attachments

• aint nobody.jpg
    aint nobody.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 259

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always give them a couple of good heat cycles and cool downs I idle the new engine (no belt, 1500rpm) until hot and let it cool completely and repeat, it seems to season the forged pistons....then pin it after a warm up and don't look back

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always give them a couple of good heat cycles and cool downs I idle the new engine (no belt, 1500rpm) until hot and let it cool completely and repeat, it seems to season the forged pistons....then pin it after a warm up and don't look back

This but maybe first tank should have a bit of oil in it! And if it's a fresh rebuild cause it blew up, put fresh gas in it just in case if bad fuel had a hand in it blowing up. My neighbour did this! Had a Mach that was blown up sat for 4or so years, rebuilt the motor. Never put fresh gas in and drove it and burnt the pistons up lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This but maybe first tank should have a bit of oil in it! And if it's a fresh rebuild cause it blew up, put fresh gas in it just in case if bad fuel had a hand in it blowing up. My neighbour did this! Had a Mach that was blown up sat for 4or so years, rebuilt the motor. Never put fresh gas in and drove it and burnt the pistons up lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thats just dumb

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Three heat and cool cycles in the shop, 1 easy run and your good to go. The heat/cool cycles are critical to seat rings and seal the nikasil on cylinders. I usually do 1 easy run with addition oil just to finish the process and assure no air in the oiling system.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what do you mean by heat cycle? Is that start it up warm it up and then turn it off?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what do you mean by heat cycle? Is that start it up warm it up and then turn it off?

take the motor slightly above normal operating temp and let it cool completely and repeat

Top Bottom