Engine jet pump combination

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can I put the 2 of these together and make it work ...... the build that I have not started yet is 14 feet , 16'' x 8 foot delta pad , this all depends on how long the engine and pump combo will be . So I need all good and bad opinions ...... the engine ( don't laugh ) YAMAHA VMAX 4.... 4 stroke 145 hp , 90 flbs of torque @ 6000 rpm .... rockets a 650 lbs bike to 140 mph . engine weight 230 lbs...... can this engine be mated to a sea doo pump with the same hp rating......the pump in pic below is not the one I am using ... just an example..... I can hear the big street bike rumble already

Attachments

• $T2eC16Z,!yEE9s5jGJyyBRR3Ozrwgg~~48_20.jpg
    $T2eC16Z,!yEE9s5jGJyyBRR3Ozrwgg~~48_20.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 99
  • P1010265.JPG
    P1010265.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 105

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't see why not. The Yamaha motor ZR1 was used alot on 16-18ft sportjets. So not an uncommon setup, though your would be i don't see why it wouldn't work.
The biggest complaint i've heard about the sportjet with the ZR1 was it was underpowered, about 140hp.
But in your case your thinking of a 14ft.

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't see why not. The Yamaha motor ZR1 was used alot on 16-18ft sportjets. So not an uncommon setup, though your would be i don't see why it wouldn't work.
The biggest complaint i've heard about the sportjet with the ZR1 was it was underpowered, about 140hp.
But in your case your thinking of a 14ft.
this is a five speed trans , so I just need to find which gear will run the pump at peak hp ????? im think 4 th or 5h and leave it there

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive thought about buying an old boosted RX1 and using that to power a small sportjet. Seen an alpine RX1 on kijiji the other day for 3500obo. With the right water to air intercooler setup it shouldnt be hard to have close to 300 hp on pump gas.

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you mean to pull the trans ???? I am not sure .. I will look into it , but I am thinking with the trans ( not shifting on the go ) would give me a better range of power bands till I fine the right impeller put impeller on / go through all the gears ..... change impeller / go through all gears and repeat ?????

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have never done, what you are about to do. So I'm just thinking out loud. If you went direct drive, with a remote deflector. You should be able to manipulate the HP or the power band in any range. The little reading I have done on this, is that I would want my pump to match my HP. I don't know why someone would build a boat with a 571, and only a 350 pump :confused:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your going to want to go 1:1 if your going to use a trans. and do any ratio adjustments via the impeller.
If your undecided on the motor and have the opertunity to choose i would go with the ZR1. You building the entire boat or have one?

Top Bottom