employment

burndown1

Reaction score
With the unemployment rate so high, why is it so hard to find help???? I need to find a full time employee with expierence in auto machine shop. I will train on machines. Do need some back ground in this profession. Right now I am approx 2 to 2 and a half months behind. Billings Montana. I will watch this thread. Serious people only.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You mean as in engine rebuilding as well as general machining and fabricating?

From some of a few other forums I frequent, people are making decent money in the USA collecting unemployment and it's easier to do nothing then something.

Dino

Reaction score
You mean as in engine rebuilding as well as general machining and fabricating?

From some of a few other forums I frequent, people are making decent money in the USA collecting unemployment and it's easier to do nothing then something.
U.I in MT sucks, 442 a week is nothing. I make that in a day and a half when working. Canada U.I. is worst ...Dino

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U.I in MT sucks, 442 a week is nothing. I make that in a day and a half when working. Canada U.I. is worst ...Dino

I was just going by a general consensus, the majority I suspect currently on UI in the USA are probably making more than when they were working.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Unemployment SHOULD suck so you WANT to go back to work. I have been not working for 2-3 months at a time out of season I don't get umemployment, why should people who don't want to work? As far as i'm concerned unemployment shouldn't even exist......

Thing is, there is jobs out there for MOST people they just don't want to find them.

caddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone wants the big dollar pay with no effort. Problem is that most of these people have no skills either, or think that lower paying jobs are beneath them.

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
I'd be happy if EI didn't exist. That's less $ off my cheque each month! And employers would have not have to pay their part either (and hopefully pay me more as a result:rolleyes:) But, seeing as it does exist, people who need it should be able to access it. After all, it is our own money sitting there. I can walk into a bank and withdraw money from my account in less than 5 minutes, so why is it so hard for people to withdraw the EI money they've paid into that account for so many years?

And why is the amount so disproportionate?

If a person pays $800.00 per year into EI for let's say 10 years, and get's laid off... That person has paid $8,000 to EI. The full $8,000 should be available to that person. But, once that $8,000 is gone, it's gone and their EI account is now empty, until they start working again and start paying back into that account. If a person retires and no longer pays into EI, the money remaining in that account should be returned.

The way it is now, EI is just another tax. If you don't use it, it goes to general revenues for the fed's and it's lost to you.

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would be willing to come down and help out... Off work here pretty soon and wide open until end of October next year PM me and lets chat always up for a new adventure!

Shifty

POWSHREDDER69

Reaction score
I manage a heavy equipment shop, two years ago u could not beg for an experienced deisel mech.. now ive got steady resume's coming in lots of people moving back from alberta

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a lot to do with the attitude I believe of the younger generation. For some reason these young adults want to be paid huge dollars for very little work. Don't get me wrong here, this isn't all of them but they are out there. I have interviewed close to 50 guys lately trying to fill positions where I work. Taking people that have no experience and offering them a full apprenticeship, we pay all expenses for schooling, pay them full wages while in school so they don't have the stress of UI, awesome benfits etc. I had one young man in my office going through an interview who graduated high school in 2009 and was looking for his first job. I noticed his lack of motivation right away but continued on with the interview. Things got to the salary negotiations and I offered him $4K/month to start which I think is pretty good for no experience. He stood up and laughed at me. Then proceeded to inform me he needs to clear after taxes $5200/month just to meet the payments on all his toys. Stunned I asked how he was able to keep these payments up now since he doesn't work and he told me his parents are covering him for now. How the hell do we compete with that ???

Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it's the school system and the fact that you can't disipline your kids any more. The kids now a days are tought to work smarter not harder so less work more pay problem being standing there staring at a 20 min. job for 2 hrs to find the so called easy way to do it doesn't add up to more production.

I'm a large believer in hard work paying off that's how we afford our toys and other nice things we've all accumulated over the years.

We have lots of mommy and daddy kids here too 18-20 year olds with new house,truck and all sorts of new toys. Makes me shake my head and no respect any of it. Just charge the repairs to daddy's account.

just my 2 cents:beer:

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a lot to do with the attitude I believe of the younger generation. For some reason these young adults want to be paid huge dollars for very little work. Don't get me wrong here, this isn't all of them but they are out there. I have interviewed close to 50 guys lately trying to fill positions where I work. Taking people that have no experience and offering them a full apprenticeship, we pay all expenses for schooling, pay them full wages while in school so they don't have the stress of UI, awesome benfits etc. I had one young man in my office going through an interview who graduated high school in 2009 and was looking for his first job. I noticed his lack of motivation right away but continued on with the interview. Things got to the salary negotiations and I offered him $4K/month to start which I think is pretty good for no experience. He stood up and laughed at me. Then proceeded to inform me he needs to clear after taxes $5200/month just to meet the payments on all his toys. Stunned I asked how he was able to keep these payments up now since he doesn't work and he told me his parents are covering him for now. How the hell do we compete with that ???

You don't compete with it, let them rot or let Daddy pay for it forever. That kid will make so many errors in life because everything is handed to him that he'll live a worse life in the long run.

There are still good young workers out there, I've hired lots of farmboys and those guys have lots of motivation and genrally are very mechanically inclined.

IMO.....

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need to find somebody from out east, most work hard and are not getting paid much. Start placing ads out east (ONTARIO)

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

All i've got to say is WOW. If someone offered me that I will say HELL YES. I would come work for you in a second for that. Last winter I was pretty keen on becoming a HD mechanic and trying to apprentice, a lot of experience working on trucks but none in past jobs (just on weekends, etc). I looked at so many places, the only offers I got was sweeping floors for 14/hr and "maybe" an apprenticeship after atleast a year. That I told them to go to hell with. But I would take the job you described 10x over.....

I have the fancy truck but it's because I live at home. I want to buy a house this fall and know it doesn't comes easy. Yea my parents have helped me a bit like paying for my first years insurance, etc. But if I don't work and can't make my truck payment it's to bad for me. I do have it a bit easier because I can work for my dad anyone I want, but it's work that most people can't handle. But my debt payment per month is $530, I can live on $1200/month if I have to.

If you were anywhere close to Edmonton I would of already sent you my resume.....I would be happy with a lot less then that to start out with. I honestly do not even expect to start at that kind of pay.

I am looking now and I can't find jobs 1/4 that good.....If anyone knows of one near Edmonton anything close to that let me know!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These Alberta kids wouldn't make it in Manitoba or Sask, working full time jouneyman for 16.00/hr:beer:

Living is also a lot cheaper there. You can buy a house there for what $250,000? The same house here is about $400,000? Not to mention so many other things cost so much more.....

idajack

Reaction score
Are you seriously looking to train someone to work with you?
I am surprised that you would have a hard time finding anyone unless the salary is extremely low or you are wanting someone more qualified than you are representing here.
I would possibly consider the idea of relocating to MT I currently live in Boise Id and have looked at geting out of this valley for a while.
I have some machine experience years ago and have run my own business for the last 15 years here dealing with motorization and automation of window coverings so it's a loose tie in.
PM me with info

POWSHREDDER69

Reaction score
it's come leaps and bounds in saskatchewan, i have guys who have never been to school yet but initially good techs and are making 27.00/hr plus tool allowance and awsome pension plan, the company kicks in 5% of gross income. we are surrounded by potash mines so we have to compete with them

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im inbaressed about the generation for about 24-30.no work ethic or pride what so ever,and wants everything hand to them on silver platter...I didn't use EI this yr as they screw you over if trying to make extra cash even when claiming it....tax's.....and for most people there is a job out there just lazy....ch!t I went back to the dish pit for a couple shifts haha
still looking for a seat this yr(hoe/cat) hiway' project should be a go by end of march

Top Bottom