Elkford today....

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I went for a little ride today in Elkford just to see what the new rain/snow brought us. We had rain all night in town and 6-8" of heavy wet in the alpine. Wow is all I can say.....

Smith Basin had 6 avi's down and still lots that haven't come down. The chutes that are down are down to ground. Guess what? Those that aren't down are going to come down, period!! Please forget the climbing this year.

The trail into Koko has a big one down about 40' above the trail. The end of the run-out is at least 15' high. This has slid already this year and went full path. Surprising that there was this much snow up there but it is an eye opener. Other chutes on the main trail had climbing marks on them today. Are these people suicidal?? They are not down as it has been said all winter: "they are waiting for a trigger; that's you mister, that has the urge to still climb!"

In Mear Basin, there was no evidence of avi's but I didn't go all the way into the back. One of the bigger basins had fresh high marks on it today. This hasn't slid yet this year. Are these people suicidal??

Some people are having a hard time getting the point this year, period. It appears that there are a lot of BC areas like this. Sorry to say this guys and gals but there will be more fatalities this year because sledders aren't getting the point.

Please ride safe and come back home to the loved ones....

Attachments

• Avalanche2i.jpg
    Avalanche2i.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Avalanche3i.jpg
    Avalanche3i.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Avalanche4i.jpg
    Avalanche4i.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
rains good for snow,whatever stays up settles,2cent

The obvious problem being that at higher elevations the rain is heavy snow and if it isn't a trigger on the PWL then the next sled or whatever is the trigger.

In Smith Basin, 6 out of 10 chutes are down, and most have the same aspect; are you going to try the other 4 because you think they have settled?

W

woodies

i'll be up this weekend to check the other 4 out. close and personel then i'll decide!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just remember the loved ones at home and figure out how your experience relates to the professionals at the AC.

he was just play n,

thank you for the updates, I am going to play safe for sure, its kinda scary out there...

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He's definitely joking......we are riding Elkford on Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun...April 1-5....and will ride safe....born and raised in the area...

Thanks for the updates....:beer:

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW!!!!!!!! lookin' @ that wet heavy stuff all piled up around trees & who knows whats undr that avy makes me instantly begin to shudder. Can you imagine the compression force!!!!! terrain traps are scary & hard to recognize ,eh?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
WOW!!!!!!!! lookin' @ that wet heavy stuff all piled up around trees & who knows whats undr that avy makes me instantly begin to shudder. Can you imagine the compression force!!!!! terrain traps are scary & hard to recognize ,eh?

There's another one just like that underneath; it came down intially on Jan 6 and ran full path with about 6' of debris over the trail.

Top Bottom