Elkford Flooding, June 2013

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its been over 18 years since I lived up there... Is Hammond's cabin up the power line north of town still there? Is it still there and owned by him? Also, is the burning coal seam still burning? That cabin could have been affected by the flooding...Mosquito Flats is what is was called... if I recall....... Killed a lot of brain cells since then. Lol

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Its been over 18 years since I lived up there... Is Hammond's cabin up the power line north of town still there? Is it still there and owned by him? Also, is the burning coal seam still burning? That cabin could have been affected by the flooding...Mosquito Flats is what is was called... if I recall....... Killed a lot of brain cells since then. Lol

I don't know about it being there today. It was still being used and well maintained before this last high water. It has been sold to Dave Shea who has a farm on the flats where Brule Creek joins the Elk. Coal seam is still burning. A lot of damage is going to be evident when a person can get around. We lost a few bridges north of town on the main Elk FSR. I don't think the east side up the power line will be accessible for awhile; some low areas, probably some washouts, and places where there is lots of mud. The bridge at the Weary Recreational Campsite is gone so driving to Elk Lakes will take a set-back.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Doug how does this flood effect the trout fishing in the future? Hope you guys get away with minimal damage there.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Doug how does this flood effect the trout fishing in the future? Hope you guys get away with minimal damage there.

That is an interesting question Glen. I searched my whole computer (over 10,000 pictures) for a picture of Round Prairie showing the old river bed before the flooding. I don't have one. The old river bed was all rocks and we used to walk it to look for fossils. It was kilometers long. Now it is covered with over 30 cm of mud/silt from the flood. I think the fish will be fine but what doo I know! The water in the little off-shoots is already clearing up and one can see to the bottom.

The part I wonder about is the friggin' greenies/environmentalists and their concern over silt. They get all up tight about a quad crossing a stream, or a hoe working a stream and putting silt into the system. It is such a drop in the bucket that it is hardly worth wasting time about it. I mean, look at the streets in Calgary/High River, etc. and all the silt that is there. The fish can deal with it.

I don't know the spawning dates and how long the eggs have to sit to incubate nor doo I know how the high, fast water effects the fry. I guess we'll find out.

It is a World Class fishing river so no doubt we will hear something.

Top Bottom