elec problem

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
99 550 RMK Trail. the kid blew his head lights so I put a meter on it and is putting out 25 volts.......Voltage reg shot. I put another regulator on and checked voltage.......7 volts what is going on. I have an other sled that I tested the reg on and it works great on the other gen 2 I have. if I plug in the reg on the 550 it goes to 7 volts.....it kinda goes down when you rev it up also. unplug it and back up to 24-25 volts.

does anyone have a wiring digram of this sled? I would like to test the lighting coil for ohms and shorting to ground......I need wire color and what it should read in ohms......I dont know what else it could be.......anyone?

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just had a thought.....does the handle bar warmers work off the lighting coil? if it shorted out it could bring down the voltage big time?????? going to look into that tomorrow but any info would be great......

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f453/no-spark-40097.html

this is for the 800 Gary, but I checked, and the #'s are the same. Go into the thread and scroll 4 or 5 posts....hope this helps

thanks.....well its not the heated grips because I disconected them........just funny it makes 25 volts when reg disconnected and 8 volts when connected.....and it drops to 6 when you rev it up! going to test stator next..........

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you making sure the new reg is bolted on (grounded) when you test. It needs that reference to ground to work properly. If you just plug it in without grounding, they can do some weird stuff

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you making sure the new reg is bolted on (grounded) when you test. It needs that reference to ground to work properly. If you just plug it in without grounding, they can do some weird stuff

it is bolted down......I also took the reg off of the 700 and same problem......just want to make sure the new reg didnt have an isue ..... going to dig back into it tomorrow if I have time......it is weird that it blew all the headlights but tail light that are a smaller wattage are Ok! im going to test the old reg also to see what is going on........going to test the stator out put and resestance also!

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to find a wiring digram for a 1999 550 fan........the only colors on the wire at the plug is 2 yellows, two brown and a yellow/red......seems like all the wires are straight to ground which is not good. I need to find a stator for this engine.......going to call Dusty! lol

Top Bottom