EGT vs. A/FX

W O T

Reaction score
Has anyone out there have expeience with Air/Fuel mixture gauges?
I have a '07 XF 1000 with Pipe, Can, Cold air intake and B Docker. I am having trouble dailing it in, mostly in the midrange. I have thought about getting EGT gauges, but have been told by some that the A/F gauge is the way to go.
The manufacturer's website says the NGK AFx is made for four strokes. A local dealer tells me they sell lots of them for the 2 smokes as well.

Any imput would be appreciated. let me know what to expect including fouling sensors with the two stroke and so on, and how reliable they are.
should I go with a Digitron EGT?:confused:

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a AEM A/F gauge brand new in box I would sell if interested PM me.

I am pretty sure you would get at least 1000miles before it would foul up, some guys get them tuned and plug it again to save the lifespan.

both gauges are great but if only doing one agree the a/f might be the way to go..

good luck

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not quite sure what you are running in midrnage, are you rich or lean?

If you have the box already to tune it, should be easy as changing a few numbers and testing agin till it is right.

Try running your sled at midrange where you are having the problems, and then quickly kill the sled while holding the throttle at that position. Pull plugs and read the problem.

AF gauge and EGT gauges only confirm what you should already know about your tune, or inform you about a changing condition in your tune. I know my carb setup is spot on, but still run EGT's just to monitor for extra insurance.

Another good option is to post your box numbers over on SW, they should help you dial in to the adjusted numbers you need if you tell them you are lean or rich in what area of the throttle range.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone out there have expeience with Air/Fuel mixture gauges?
I have a '07 XF 1000 with Pipe, Can, Cold air intake and B Docker. I am having trouble dailing it in, mostly in the midrange. I have thought about getting EGT gauges, but have been told by some that the A/F gauge is the way to go.
The manufacturer's website says the NGK AFx is made for four strokes. A local dealer tells me they sell lots of them for the 2 smokes as well.

Any imput would be appreciated. let me know what to expect including fouling sensors with the two stroke and so on, and how reliable they are.
should I go with a Digitron EGT?:confused:

The 2 stroke gauges usually need an adapter for the pipe since obviously, 2 strokes are different than 4 strokes. Other than that, A/F all the way. EGT is nice, but a/f is really what you want to see to be lean or rich. EGT will tell you when the motor is too hot, but the gauge readings can be misleading, especially depending on probe location, or if you are really rich and burning fuel in the pipe.

Top Bottom