egt temps put 400 degrees between cylinders

pinkpantherusmincus

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just got done rebuilding the wifes sled, took it out for its test ride and the temps are 400 degrees hotter on the mag side mid throttle. i intend to change the c clip on the needle to richen it up, though i am wondering if anyone else is seeing temps that different between each cylinders?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wholey Chit :yikes: I have never seen any of my sleds exceed 180F on both cylinders. I would say there is a major melt down about to happen!!!!

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like its running too fat. I tuned an M1000 that was 1300 in one and 800 in the other at wot. With it I set the values to 0 and they were

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sorry..... I read this thread wrong!!! I was thinking engine temps, and not EGT temps......... my bad

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is the sled running? Any difference in the spark plug appearance? Did you move the EGT probes at all? The probe depth can affect #'s greatly. Or try swaping your probes from side to side to make sure you don't have a probe going bad.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just got done rebuilding the wifes sled, took it out for its test ride and the temps are 400 degrees hotter on the mag side mid throttle. i intend to change the c clip on the needle to richen it up, though i am wondering if anyone else is seeing temps that different between each cylinders?

400 difference doesn't really mean anything by itself. What are the actual cylinder temps? Could just be the rings not seated yet in one cylinder or a bad reed if it's got a lower temp. Did you do a compression test?
As mentioned before it could be the probes too!

pinkpantherusmincus

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rings seated properly on both cylinders, pto cylinder 148, mag cylinder 150, too early to really judge piston wash or plug color...

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you have the EGT gauge installed before rebuild and if so were they the temps the same or close to each other then? Did you have the carburetor cables disconnected when you did the rebuild? If so you might not have the carbs exactly synchronized to each other which is apt to show up at mid throttle due to being on a different part of the needle taper. One full needle clip position might be too much adjustment.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is the sled running? Any difference in the spark plug appearance? Did you move the EGT probes at all? The probe depth can affect #'s greatly. Or try swaping your probes from side to side to make sure you don't have a probe going bad.

Bingo-this would be my first step.

Top Bottom