EGR Problem

Wise Mechanical

Reaction score
I have a 99 GMC 2500 with the 6 litre gas, was pulling the holiday trailer the other day and it started running rough at idle and wouldn't pull. Got home checked codes and it threw a EGR Code, just wondering if anyone has ever seen or heard if a EGR delete kit is availible for these engines, or if anyone has had any luck with cleaning the EGR on the 6litre?

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depends what has fail if it is electrical or mechanical failure,if it is a big piece of carbon holding open the valve the yes you can clean it.if you remove the egr you have to come up with a way to plug the hole in the intake and it will still set codes.besides the egr only works @cruising speed on hyway,if you say it was running rough sounds like it is probably stuck partialy open.:beer:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
depends what has fail if it is electrical or mechanical failure,if it is a big piece of carbon holding open the valve the yes you can clean it.if you remove the egr you have to come up with a way to plug the hole in the intake and it will still set codes.besides the egr only works @cruising speed on hyway,if you say it was running rough sounds like it is probably stuck partialy open.:beer:

i concur......... Sounds like a piece of carbon stuck in the valve, holding it open a bit.... You might be able to clean it out.

smokindiesel

Reaction score
I'd have to agree, its carbon or the valve got stuck, pull it clean it and try it. There are guys out there than can tune the EGR out of your computer so it does nothing. I can do this, but I am in grande prarrie, There is a guy i would recomend in edmonton, do a search on extreame fx tunning you'll find him.

Wise Mechanical

Reaction score
Pulled the EGR last night and cleaned it, still didn't fix the problem looks like shes getting a new EGR

Top Bottom