Educate me, so whats the process of tapping a new Oil plug?

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my buddy stripped his oil plug in the bottom of his '15 Husky 350 and the mechanic he goes to is telling him that its $1000 in labor to fix it. I can't see it. Isnt it just retapping it a getting a bigger plug?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Most oil pans can just use the oversize self tapping drain plugs... I would look into that first. We save a lot of vehicles this way, that quick lube places have stripped drain plugs out. That is why there are these oversize self tapping drain plugs available

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most oil pans can just use the oversize self tapping drain plugs... I would look into that first. We save a lot of vehicles this way, that quick lube places have stripped drain plugs out. That is why there are these oversize self tapping drain plugs available

Where in town would a guy get one? His current plug is M12 x 1.5

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should be able to drill out to the next size and re-tap. A good trick so you don't get filings in your motor is to fill the drill bit with thick grease and then let the drill turn real slow so the grease don't fly off, that way the real small filing get stuck in the grease. Then do the same with the tap, fill the flutes with grease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I kinda get pissed when I read threads like this. People bitch about the price etc. You have no idea what he is being quoted for. Chances are he is getting quoted for a case and not to heli-coil or re tap the threads. It should be pretty obvious on the quote. Now to you want if back to factory or patched together??? There are cheaper methods that work well but are not a guaranteed fix. You need to look at how bad it is chewed out and what you can get for a drain plug. Ideally you want it to last forever, not just a few oil changes. If you think he is getting ripped off post a copy of the quote and we will see what he is getting quoted for.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
12mm is just under 1/2 inch so tap it to 1/2 inch and your good.
Just curious if you know about KTM's engine? Now I know they may have changed from my 2010 530exc but my drain plug had the filter attached. Meaning you can just put any old drain plug in there. I might be wrong about this bike but people should know the engine before recommending things like just go to a bigger plug. I can stand when an engine is all metric and some bonehead uses a fricken SAE bolt!!!! AHHHHHHHH lol

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL, now I have to research the plug type. I am supposed to researching motorhomes and toy haulers not drain plugs!!

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wild1 needs to relax. If its the rear underside drain plug a simple helicoil will work just fine. The side plug has a filter behind it on the 350.
Fixed many a metric bike with helicoil that is still on the road years later and no drips

If the hop is saying its a 1k fix and not offering a simple fix as an option then the shop is not being considerate to its customers.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heli coils are great but don't work very well on thin material such as pans some times. You need at least 1/2" of material for the coil to hold properly.
You might have to tap the next closes size up if the material your working on allows for it.

Last edited:

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I kinda get pissed when I read threads like this. People bitch about the price etc. You have no idea what he is being quoted for. Chances are he is getting quoted for a case and not to heli-coil or re tap the threads. It should be pretty obvious on the quote. Now to you want if back to factory or patched together??? There are cheaper methods that work well but are not a guaranteed fix. You need to look at how bad it is chewed out and what you can get for a drain plug. Ideally you want it to last forever, not just a few oil changes. If you think he is getting ripped off post a copy of the quote and we will see what he is getting quoted for.

Bingo. Chances are he got quoted for a new case. You might get away with a helicoil or drilling out and tapping to the next size up but that's iffy IMO. Kinda like drilling and tapping into the engine block of your pickup. It's not just a oil pan with a threaded bung welded on it.

daddys girl

Reaction score
Just curious if you know about KTM's engine? Now I know they may have changed from my 2010 530exc but my drain plug had the filter attached. Meaning you can just put any old drain plug in there. I might be wrong about this bike but people should know the engine before recommending things like just go to a bigger plug. I can stand when an engine is all metric and some bonehead uses a fricken SAE bolt!!!! AHHHHHHHH lol

FINE. Go to the next size metric ,I am going back to the kitchen and make sandwiches.I will be sure to cut every thing in metric size. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So sassy lol

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bingo. Chances are he got quoted for a new case. You might get away with a helicoil or drilling out and tapping to the next size up but that's iffy IMO. Kinda like drilling and tapping into the engine block of your pickup. It's not just a oil pan with a threaded bung welded on it.
And also to cover the shop and mechanic's butt, the proper fix is a new case

What happens if your out somewhere and it falls out or gets knocked out, now your going to be pissed off at the shop for a half azzed job

Top Bottom