Edson Poker Rally dead.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just received an Email from Andy Hayward( From the Edson ATV club) that said that, due to the fact that no one wanted to organize the July poker rally, the Poker Rally is not going ahead. Too bad, our group was hoping to actually make it through this time.

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just received an Email from Andy Hayward( From the Edson ATV club) that said that, due to the fact that no one wanted to organize the July poker rally, the Poker Rally is not going ahead. Too bad, our group was hoping to actually make it through this time.

No way! was looking forward to complete it this year. too bad.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Total bummer! I wanted to at least make it to checkoint 3 this year.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

this will probably happen more and more with rally's as its always the same core group of volunteers that do everything and they eventually reach their breaking point and say "enough".

Sad to say but its true.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this will probably happen more and more with rally's as its always the same core group of volunteers that do everything and they eventually reach their breaking point and say "enough".

Sad to say but its true.
Absolutely correct. I think this is only the beginning of the end, not only for Poker Rally's but for the overall club in general. Our Snowmobile Club is finding it harder and harder to get anyone to participate at all levels, the only thing that keeps it going is the devotion of the few who step up and say" well, if no one else will I guess I'll do it again ". Sooner or later even they will say enough is enough, I just want to go play like everyone else.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have the trail in your GPS you should be able to ride it anytime!

Bruce.

LOL. True, but riding the trail and finishing the rally are two different things. I've been there the last two years. The first year, we made it to the first checkpoint but not to the second. Last year, we made it to the second, but they packed up just before we got there.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Everyone wants to participate but no one wants to organize/run it. I've never been able to taken part in the sno-mo days sled rally because we've always lacked volunteers. Luckily we are getting some new involvement but that just means that maybe next year some of the old boys will be able to run it for the first time in 20 years....lol

Our club has over 200 members yet we have less than 20 truely "active" volunteers. and the ATV club is in worse shape.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Everyone wants to participate but no one wants to organize/run it. I've never been able to taken part in the sno-mo days sled rally because we've always lacked volunteers. Luckily we are getting some new involvement but that just means that maybe next year some of the old boys will be able to run it for the first time in 20 years....lol

Our club has over 200 members yet we have less than 20 truely "active" volunteers. and the ATV club is in worse shape.

if the ATV club would respond to emails or let people know when their meetings etc were they'd probably grow.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

In the community league system we called that the 90/10 rule. 90 percent of the work is done by 10 percent of the people.
But it is cyclical when things start to die someone will eventually step up.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
LOL. True, but riding the trail and finishing the rally are two different things. I've been there the last two years. The first year, we made it to the first checkpoint but not to the second. Last year, we made it to the second, but they packed up just before we got there.

Really? You've never finished? Easiest rally around besides the the Brazeau.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Uh you are kidding right?? a lot of people did not make it through last year. If I recall only 45 did. The trail was so chewed up that it was little difficult if not impossible to get through.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

STP...... Same ten people do everything. Lucky here, it's same twenty people.......

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if the ATV club would respond to emails or let people know when their meetings etc were they'd probably grow.

Good point Tyler, but the executives did 99% of the work for that club and I think we just plain burned them out. The club has a new executive board and they're working on it, but it will likely be pretty quiet until they find their groove.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Uh you are kidding right?? a lot of people did not make it through last year. If I recall only 45 did. The trail was so chewed up that it was little difficult if not impossible to get through.

Yes Rubirose IF we had taken the dry trail I have no doubt we would have finished, but when a member of the group was coaxed into trying to turn her 850 XP into a seadoo, well bad things happened! PLUS the mud pit of hell that we all were trying to bypass claimed about 4 machines in the couple hours we were there draining the excess water from her quad. 3 machines were band-aided enough to back track and continue on the dry trail, and we helped pull a 4th across the bridge for rescue later. And that was just in the few hours we spent at that hole. Countless machines back at the rally head were broke.

I agree with kbrunlees but add that the "wet trail" was a definite challenge!

It's too dam bad this rally is a no go....was going to attend this one come hell or high water....lol

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Good point Tyler, but the executives did 99% of the work for that club and I think we just plain burned them out. The club has a new executive board and they're working on it, but it will likely be pretty quiet until they find their groove.

We'll see what happens Dean, Marvins got me invited to the mud bogs meeting, so I'll go there and see if I can get involved somehow.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With all the ATV fun police around lately I'm surprised nobody has gone down this path: rallys and big rides REALLY EXPOSE our sport to criticism. More enviro-damage is done in one day than a whole season of casual riding on the same trail. I might take some heat, but I really dislike rallys because of this. Plus, there is always media involved...so there it is on page 1 of the local section...27 quads all stuck and tearing up the same hole. The enviro-creeps just love this stuff. I've been on trails (recently) that our Suds Buds crew has "irresponsibly torn up" with 6 or 8 guys on a day ride and 6 months later you can barely tell there is even a trail there. You get 200 machines doing the same thing, and that trail is pretty much gouged in forever.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
With all the ATV fun police around lately I'm surprised nobody has gone down this path: rallys and big rides REALLY EXPOSE our sport to criticism. More enviro-damage is done in one day than a whole season of casual riding on the same trail. I might take some heat, but I really dislike rallys because of this. Plus, there is always media involved...so there it is on page 1 of the local section...27 quads all stuck and tearing up the same hole. The enviro-creeps just love this stuff. I've been on trails (recently) that our Suds Buds crew has "irresponsibly torn up" with 6 or 8 guys on a day ride and 6 months later you can barely tell there is even a trail there. You get 200 machines doing the same thing, and that trail is pretty much gouged in forever.

that is the exact reason we have to run the Snowandmud trail on "high ground"

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks Dave!

That is the exact reason i will never participate in or help organize a rally. As far as I am concerned they should all be stopped. You want to ride, go with your friends and organize your own weekend so that 500 machines are not all in the same spot. Rally's just make it easy for the huggers to get their ammo.

I say make the bastages work for it!!!!

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Unless on private property or on reserve land, don't organizers have to get some sort of blessing from SRD? It was my understanding that the "blessing" came with some sort of obligation to repair any damage. I'm really curious now that it has been brought up. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Top Bottom