Edmonton Avy Beacons

dschwindt

Reaction score
Would anyone know of a good place around Edmonton to purchase a new beacon. I am leaning towards the BCA Tracker 2 as I have used it and like it the most.

Thanks

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is the tracker 11 compatable with the original tracker? i know they are all suppposed to pick up the same freq. but if guys in the group have trackers, am i better off to update to the tracker 11?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
is the tracker 11 compatable with the original tracker? i know they are all suppposed to pick up the same freq. but if guys in the group have trackers, am i better off to update to the tracker 11?

They all use the same frequency. Get what you are comfortable using and practice, practice, practice......by yourself or with the group it doesn't matter but the more you practice the better prepared you will be for a real session.

trailblazer

Reaction score
IMO,get a Barryvox Pulse.Better range,better harness,louder beep when searching,much better for multiple searches,upgradeable and super easy to use.It has two settings,basic and advanced so if you want to customize it for specific needs,you can.It'll let you know,if the victim is using a" Pulse",whether they're alive or not.Great for triage.For sure more expensive,but two things not to cheap out on,a beacon and a shovel.

Either way,i hope it's a waste of money and used only for practice and at the trailhead for "group check"!

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check ebay as well. i bought mine for $230 shipped to my door.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either the Barryvox Pulse or the Pieps DSP. At the AST1 course, we tested many beacons for range and ease of use. Nobody had a Barryvox, but there were tracker, tracker II, Ortovox S1, some old analog pieps, and the Pieps DSP. The only beacons to get signal at 65m no matter what orientation the victim beacon was sitting at was Pieps DSP. Everyone else was closer to the victim before getting signal, and even closer when they weren't directly on the flux line. Multiple burial search was much better with the Pieps as well. Zacs Tracs is who put the course on, and they sell the Pieps DSP for those 2 reasons. The DSP might cost a little more than the Tracker II, but every second counts in an avy situation. I definitely think that the Tracker II is a very good beacon too, but for the little bit extra, I would look at the Barryvox or Pieps. I wish somebody had a Barryvox Pulse at the course to compare with, but I am very happy with my choice in Pieps DSP. I would recommend taking the AST1 course before buying, and you will learn a lot about beacons there.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yup, take the ast1 course and then decide for yourself which beacon you will go for...... They all work and even the old analogues worked well...... I currently have the sos, and 3 of us with the old sos's had the longest range out the 30 or so of us that took the course recently in mcbride.....all the avalanche experts we had at our course were recomending the pieps then the s1......

If anyone is interested in a group buy of the pieps, i will be looking for 3 units very soon. Pm me, and we'll see what kinda #'s we can get together....

Top Bottom