Ecu dead??!?!?!

Hicktown

Reaction score
First ride this season ('08 M8 turbo), rode up Allen creek in vale. Towards the top of the trail my sled was running funny. Seemed to be missing off the bottom end, low RPM's. Everybody stopped at a clearing to talk, shut our sleds off. Fired up again 5 minutes later and continued to the cabin. ECU05 code flashes up and I shut down again at the cabin, find out what the code is (Air temp sensor short circuit). I begin to look for look/ rubbing wires and find nothing.
After an hour of searching and wiggling wires sled Does not fire, no spark at all.
Towed down, loaded up and drove to McBride. After 3 hours of diagnostics it's found that my ECU is dead.
WHAT CAUSES THIS??? I don't want to put a new one on if it's just going to burn out like that!

Thanks in advance!!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First ride this season ('08 M8 turbo), rode up Allen creek in vale. Towards the top of the trail my sled was running funny. Seemed to be missing off the bottom end, low RPM's. Everybody stopped at a clearing to talk, shut our sleds off. Fired up again 5 minutes later and continued to the cabin. ECU05 code flashes up and I shut down again at the cabin, find out what the code is (Air temp sensor short circuit). I begin to look for look/ rubbing wires and find nothing.
After an hour of searching and wiggling wires sled Does not fire, no spark at all.
Towed down, loaded up and drove to McBride. After 3 hours of diagnostics it's found that my ECU is dead.
WHAT CAUSES THIS??? I don't want to put a new one on if it's just going to burn out like that!

Thanks in advance!!

Have the ccu checked to make sure it's working properly. And there is a main chasis ground wire that should be checked to make sure that it is hooked up properly. Did you try another ecu on it?

Hicktown

Reaction score
The CCU was checked and seems fine. Plugged someone elses ECU in and then there was spark and fired right up. Ill have to check that ground closer.

Hicktown

Reaction score
Nobody else has ever had any computer troubles with their M8??

creepincat

Reaction score
Have the ccu checked to make sure it's working properly. And there is a main chasis ground wire that should be checked to make sure that it is hooked up properly. Did you try another ecu on it?
I took all my wire connections apart and cleaned and put dielectric grease in them never had another problem electrically with my cat.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took all my wire connections apart and cleaned and put dielectric grease in them never had another problem electrically with my cat.

Other than exhaust sensor the only real issue's i've seen with the cats is in the connections you are right. The best to do is clean all connections and die-electric grease them and should be good.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
there is a fuse.. ive had trouble with that. but it ran really poor. might be worth a check

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Define dead??? Power in and nothing out or no power in??

Deano

MAD MOTORSPORTS

Hicktown

Reaction score
Power goes in, magneto tested fine. No spark at all. The Dealer hooked up their fancy computer readin thing jigger and couldn't read anything off of it. Plugged in one from another machine, checked for spark, good spark, plugs in and she fired right up!
CCU was also checked out, but apears to be fine.

Top Bottom