Economy/Recession

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there have been proponents on each side of this issue who have researched and offered their opinions as to which method of transporting oil poses the greatest risk to the environment, but as usual most of these would be tilted in favor of the writers agenda. One of the things I think is silly is listening to the rail fans, who most often don't mention the impacts to the land it stretches over, the initial machinery and fuel and used to build it, the inconvenience and the dangers to road traffic, the emissions produced from the locomotives, plus as proven many times , the high risk and expense of spills from derailment.
The benefits of windmill power generation as compared to fossil fuel generation , is in my mind is one of the biggest scams we've been victims of in a long time. We refuse to learn from so many countries and states and provinces that have tried to go that route entirely, and most have found that other than very small scale, it just isn't sustainable. That's if you can ignore and discount the initial cost to land, roads, emissions during construction , maintenance cost, birds, insects , bees , and more I'm sure.
Compared to all the negatives and threats posed by so many things to our health and welfare and the sustainability of our local environment, using the excuse of safety to stop the pipelines is ludicrous at best.
It's a convenient excuse.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here we go again.

Northern Gateways fatal flaw? Thinking it was a good idea to use Kitimat as a supertanker port.

So far their have been 2 proposals, Trans Mountain and Northern Gateway. Trans Mountain isnt dead, but Northern Gateway is done, not because nobody wants pipelines, but because it has a horrible and arrogant proposal.

Instead of bitching and moaning about not getting your way, how about coming up with a proposal that actually makes environmental, economical and common sense?

One last thought, if Northern Gateway was accepted, do you actually think it would have made a difference to the world oil markets today? Do you think its development would have driven current oil prices up?

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here we go again.

Northern Gateways fatal flaw? Thinking it was a good idea to use Kitimat as a supertanker port.

So far their have been 2 proposals, Trans Mountain and Northern Gateway. Trans Mountain isnt dead, but Northern Gateway is done, not because nobody wants pipelines, but because it has a horrible and arrogant proposal.

Instead of bitching and moaning about not getting your way, how about coming up with a proposal that actually makes environmental, economical and common sense?

One last thought, if Northern Gateway was accepted, do you actually think it would have made a difference to the world oil markets today? Do you think its development would have driven current oil prices up?

As as I said, A convenient excuse.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As as I said, A convenient excuse.

Supertankers in the Douglas Channel is what you consider a convenient excuse? The fact that there was a moratorium on tanker traffic many years before the proposal yet Enbridge arrogantly thought that they could push thru their plans and bypass the moratorium because, well, I guess they are above the law?

Its no excuse, it was a dead issue from the beginning. As I have said before I am still waiting for the real plan to be proposed because Northern Gateway was so absurd that it had to be nothing more than a red herring and their actual plan will be coming soon.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Supertankers in the Douglas Channel is what you consider a convenient excuse? The fact that there was a moratorium on tanker traffic many years before the proposal yet Enbridge arrogantly thought that they could push thru their plans and bypass the moratorium because, well, I guess they are above the law?

Its no excuse, it was a dead issue from the beginning. As I have said before I am still waiting for the real plan to be proposed because Northern Gateway was so absurd that it had to be nothing more than a red herring and their actual plan will be coming soon.

Hopefully you are right and the actual plan will be something that will benefit the 3 western provinces. Because now , when the challenges are increased because of the low price, it seems the cooperation between the provinces , if there ever was any, is what's really diminishing, creating a disadvantage to everyone concerned.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HUMAN STUPIDITY KNOWS NO LIMITS

The entire rationale for wind turbines is to stop global warming by reducing the amount of Co2 being returned to the atmosphere from the burning of fossil fuels.

In the attached picture, recently taken in Sweden, freezing cold weather has caused the rotor blades of a wind turbine to ice up bringing the blades to a complete stop.

To fix the "problem" a helicopter is employed (burning aviation fuel) to spray hot water (which is heated in the frigid temperatures using a truck equipped with a 260 kW oil burner) on the blades of the turbine to de-ice them.

The aviation fuel, the diesel for the truck, and the oil burned to heat the water, could produce more electricity (at the right time to meet demand) than the unfrozen wind turbine could ever produce. (Before it freezes up again).

The attached picture is a metaphor of the complete insanity of the climate change debate.

In decades to come this one photo alone with sum up an era of stupidity, when rational thought, logic and commonsense was abandoned and immense wealth and resources needlessly sacrificed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 172

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^ Maybe we should rely on oil forever. As we know, it will never run out right. Look what relying on oil has done to Alberta and the dollar?

Those wind turbines are old technology. They have new ones out that take some of the produced electricity to deice themselves as needed.

[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^ Maybe we should rely on oil forever. As we know, it will never run out right. Look what relying on oil has done to Alberta and the dollar?

Those wind turbines are old technology. They have new ones out that take some of the produced electricity to deice themselves as needed.

[SUB][/SUB]
Wind power is just like pissing into it. For every kW of wind, you need another to offset it for when there isn't any.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I agree, wind isn't the complete answer, but there is nothing wrong with clean(er) energy sources. A mix of whatever works would be ideal.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oil is up 10% today.

Quebec has their head in their ass. They take the money but they don't even take our oil. They ship oil all the way from Africa to purchase and refine in Quebec, costing them billions more. Canadians should be refine and transporting CANADIAN oil. This should be law.

If reading this doesn't piss you off, I don't know what will.

Billions projected in savings if Quebec refiners switch to Alberta oil - The Globe and Mail

Quebec doesn't care they rely on transfer money so they could care less.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They used wind power before oil, how do you think Columbus got here?

Just ask Ontario how they like the Wind farm situation and all the BS they went through and still going through. The only people that get rich of this are the ones that have buisnesses of sustainable energy cause they don't wait the 25yrs to get back there money. They get it right now from the Government at the ratepayers expense and we get to listen to you all that supported it complain about why power has tripled. I do not believe the sky is falling nor will I with all the filters/whatever the plants use to cut emmisions. One volcano spews one cloud of ash that has more co2 than all Canada combined in ten years. Also if they are so hell bent on sustainable energy why not go Geothermal I would makes more sense and it would be cheap to the consumer as well and fraction of the cost than windmills on property that was taken away from the owner for free and then charged triple the rate to the ratepayers.

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wind and solar are great things...the real problem is that there are no FRIKKIN GIANORMOUS battery banks to hold the stuff until it is needed. I've said it before, and I stand by it: without fossil fuels, humans do not live beyond the equator regions. Back in the tribal days, wood (and whale oil....we don't need to go there) was used to heat homes for the tribes that didn't live where it was warm. Trees are scarce and population is high.....

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow thank for that tip about the trains everest8. Way more accurate than the Baltic index if you ask me.....oh and by the way that is in the toilet too.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's simplify this .... The oil needs to get out to buyers as safely and economically as possible ..... For the GOOD of all Canadiens . Any one against this is simply in it for other reasons or there own personal gain..... Such as JT , who will not help to expedite our oil , because it's against the majority of HIS voters wishes . Despite the fact he will plunge Canada in to huge debt without the energy sectors tax revenue and provided jobs...!

the rest is just fluff.... Or in other words ::::: internet facts..........

Top Bottom