Early Season Avalanches

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quick reminder that avalanches can and will happen early on... I know that I, like many others, am so gung ho to get out there that I haven't even thought about the risks involved yet. Of course, I have all the gear, but I don't imagine it happening to me. Well... it killed a valued and well-known member of the sledding community here in PG today, and claimed a life south of the border. Take precautions and be aware. The price is just too high :(

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52907844-78/avalanche-pierre-resort-hoyal.html.csp#.TsCT2_rB2UI.facebook

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52906292-78/avalanche-kobernik-storm-area.html.csp

Jamie Pierre killed in avalanche - ESPN

Last edited:

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you SledMamma! I am totally in shock right now losing a very valued, well known, and well liked person of the sledding community here in PG. It is a very sad day.:( We all have to use this as a learning tool, and not be too complacent. I know we are all eager about heading out for our first ride and sometimes we leave our better judgement behind.

This avy in PG happened in a bowl I have sledded in every season for the last 6 years and have yet to see it slide. Just proves that mother nature is more powerful than we all think, and can be totally unexpected. My son and I were talking and he mentioned to me, "Does that mean we can't ride there anymore?" I told him that it doesn't mean that, it just means that our first ride there we will certainly be more aware.

Please be careful out there peeps. Your families and friends all want you to return safe. Take an avy course, invest in some new equipment.....but please don't ever take mother nature for granted. RIP.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. No one is immune from avalanches. Been trying to practice with my new beacon as much as possible.

sent from a phone

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at an Avalanche awareness course when I heard the news. This gentleman was a very well know snowmobiler with an absolutly amazing family. He will be sadly missed.

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man oh man it is waaaay to early in the season for this sh*t to happen
Prayers r w fam and friends

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thoughts and Prayers for all those involved and their families

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Momma. Just registered with Zacs this morning.
Thoughts and prayers with the friends and families involved.

honda mike

Reaction score
Condolences to the family. Very sad start to the season.
FYI-As I drove through the Rogers Pass yesterday I saw an excavator clearing snow off the railway tracks on the West side of the pass. Good size 2.5 avalanche. Interesting thing was there is some snow in the valley, but you would probably not think about that much overhead hazard yet! But it is there and very real right now. So remember, even if it is thin where you are traveling, look up and take mid season precautions.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the avy with the skier is a good lesson for us. He wasn't buried in the small avy, he just got pushed over a cliff. This is a reminder of how carefull we have to be crossing avy run outs. I always think about the ride into Quartz. There is usually very little snow on that avy run out but the results of being pushed over the cliff would be devastating.

Guest101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know in the revelstoke area that before this last big storm we had about 2-3ft snow at 1500m then 2 or 3 cool clear days. A small surface hoar layer formed and then we got 3-4ft more snow=perfect recipe for slides. Just because it is early season doesn't mean we are immune to slides. Be careful out there folks!

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a sad thing to happen this early in the year, or any time of year for that matter, but I can't believe people are still out riding without a beacon....

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Thoughts and prayers to the freinds and Family. R.I.P D.M You will be missed Buddy.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sad to hear and condolences to the family, but it is reported he wasn't wearing a beacon?

Well, this helps me realize I haven't done a beacon search all summer. Tonight however, we will be doing this.

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sad to hear and condolences to the family, but it is reported he wasn't wearing a beacon?

Well, this helps me realize I haven't done a beacon search all summer. Tonight however, we will be doing this.

yea unfortunately it did.
"The missing sledder was carrying an avalanche emergency kit, but did not have locator beacons, according to Douglass."

Good plan on the beacon search, never to early to start practicing for the season.
my thoughts are with his friends and family and everyone in PG, if you haven't taken an ast course please do, and always remember to check conditions and wear a beacon !!!

K

Kavaleen

So sorry to hear about both gentlemen that passed yesterday. Our thoughts are with their families and friends. Please be careful and sharpen your skills for the upcoming season. The smarter your group is the safer you are.

Top Bottom