E-TEC 800/391 Belt Durability?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only real difference is the compound in the belts. The 377 is supposed to withstand a little more heat before cords start pulling. With the 391 it will be a little softer and the clutches will grip it better.

No one appears to be complaining yet, but the clutches are also better aligned on the 2012's. Could the fancy clutch cover cooling mechanism also be working?

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any reports on the new clutch cover. temps ect. Question: I was told that I would loose my warranty if it was removed, what warranty? engine warranty? or is this an un true statement.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any reports on the new clutch cover. temps ect. Question: I was told that I would loose my warranty if it was removed, what warranty? engine warranty? or is this an un true statement.

While I was picking my X up at the dealership, my buddy actually texted me saying that he heard the same thing. I showed the Sales dude the text and he laughed, saying that it wouldn't void anything. Granted this was a sales guy saying it, but one I trust.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Any dealer that makes a statement like that is going to be out of business before he knows it. That is not going to affect anyones warranty. Trust me.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any dealer that makes a statement like that is going to be out of business before he knows it. That is not going to affect anyones warranty. Trust me.

And how would they even know?!? If anyone was really concerned put it back on when you take your sled in for servicing.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And how would they even know?!? If anyone was really concerned put it back on when you take your sled in for servicing.

Seeing that there is no warranty on belts, how is removing it going to affect the rest of the sled warranty? It doesn't help the engine cool, it doesn't affect the electronics or the injection system. The jury is out if it going to work or not but if a guy doesn't think its gonna work then take it off. Thats what I will do.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is reports it does keep the belts cooler. People have ran with it and checked belt temps with an infered and ran without it and found the belt temps have gone up. But this is with no additional venting.

Its good for keeping snow dust off the clutches as well. Slipperly clutches kill performance pretty quick. I hate the look of it though...

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plus it is a pain in the azz to take the belt guard on and off as well. Lol.

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a post I read from BRP, the 391 is best suited for the 2012 800 e-tec, and is the same size as the 377, so we can interchange them if needed. I'll run the 391 on my new '12. I do believe what I've seen on the new belt cover keeping the belt cooler by 30degrees on the Summits. They work hard, nose hi, and would likely benefit from improved airflow past the clutch and reduced snow/steam hitting the clutch. A couple friends are putting them on their '08 and '10 154's. For $50 it's worth the try. These things are so hard to prove though. Time to hit the hills!

sscamaro_skwark

Reaction score
I am rather curious as I have 2200kms on my factory 377 belt on my 09 800R Summit, that has been worked very hard & abused, especially breaking trail in 2+ feet of wet powder, lucky buggers following had no problem once I plowed through the heavy stuff because it packed perfectly for them to ride. When I first got my 09 I noticed that the clutches were VERY HOT TO THE FEEL, so I did a vent kit which by feel didn't really help, so I drilled some holes in the clutch cover & attached some snowscreen/mesh over them (yes I know that it weakens the cover), & removed a fraction of the plastic above the tool pocket, & voila, 2200 kms on the same belt, plus a huge drop in temp by feel of my bare hand, even after 1+ minute climbs at WOT. Also co-worker has a 09 Renegade 800R & I showed him how I removed part of the plastic in between engine & clutch (behind tool pouch), so we tried that mod only on his (no vents or holes in clutch cover), & his clutches are still very hot. & yes the clutch alignment was checked before even modifying for more air flow. Hopefully the 12's don't have any issues with this, but if they do I know that I will be copying what I did on my 09.
And on another note I just bought another 377 belt for a spare & they are crazy expensive (I originally had an Ultimax XS, but after seeing a couple separate withing 600 kms I have decided to stick with BRP belts), but my dealer claimed that they kept the same part # but upgraded the belt since 09, anyone know of this or were they thinking of the 391? Both are the same price, but wow $190 for 1 belt, it had better last like my original belt otherwise I will not be a happy sledder, even though I don't know of anyone getting many kms on 09 sleds/belts, wasn't 1500 kms a long life for most of them?

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am rather curious as I have 2200kms on my factory 377 belt on my 09 800R Summit, that has been worked very hard & abused, especially breaking trail in 2+ feet of wet powder, lucky buggers following had no problem once I plowed through the heavy stuff because it packed perfectly for them to ride. When I first got my 09 I noticed that the clutches were VERY HOT TO THE FEEL, so I did a vent kit which by feel didn't really help, so I drilled some holes in the clutch cover & attached some snowscreen/mesh over them (yes I know that it weakens the cover), & removed a fraction of the plastic above the tool pocket, & voila, 2200 kms on the same belt, plus a huge drop in temp by feel of my bare hand, even after 1+ minute climbs at WOT. Also co-worker has a 09 Renegade 800R & I showed him how I removed part of the plastic in between engine & clutch (behind tool pouch), so we tried that mod only on his (no vents or holes in clutch cover), & his clutches are still very hot. & yes the clutch alignment was checked before even modifying for more air flow. Hopefully the 12's don't have any issues with this, but if they do I know that I will be copying what I did on my 09.
And on another note I just bought another 377 belt for a spare & they are crazy expensive (I originally had an Ultimax XS, but after seeing a couple separate withing 600 kms I have decided to stick with BRP belts), but my dealer claimed that they kept the same part # but upgraded the belt since 09, anyone know of this or were they thinking of the 391? Both are the same price, but wow $190 for 1 belt, it had better last like my original belt otherwise I will not be a happy sledder, even though I don't know of anyone getting many kms on 09 sleds/belts, wasn't 1500 kms a long life for most of them?

You probably got a deal on your last belt. the 377 has been in that $189 range since day 1.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
I have over 2000 km's on my belt since I shimmed the secondary and vented just a little...

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 155

Snow Rodeo

Reaction score
I'm going to stick on a Dayco XTX, plus I just geared my 11 etec 163 X down to a 20-49 from the stock 21. anyone else out there that has played with gearing on the etec's?
My stock belt got me 1100 km's and I pulled it off because the cords were just starting to peel so i got it off before it blew. No venting, basically stock sled.

Top Bottom