Duramax Exhaust System

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking into exhaust systems for my 09 sierra duramax (6.6L LMM). Does anyone know what the stock downpipe size is on this motor year duramax?

Trying to determine if I should get a turbo back exhaust, or just start from the dpf delete.. So is there noticeable difference bt turbo back or non? And what brands are you running turbo back exhaust from? Having trouble finding a kit that had everything in it!

TIA

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Flow pro will have turbo back kit it will start from the right rear of engine there is no down pipe kit as per say on dmax

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unless im mistaken, it doesnt appear flow pro has a turbo back system for the new body style :/ seems that not much has been made for the new body style, particulate filter back is all flow pro offers, found the same with mbrp and magnaflow.. I was looking for turbo back because it would have a bigger downpipe included in the system (i was told)

mbrp does sell a 3" downpipe.. but having trouble finding out what the stock downpipe size is

perhaps the pipe from the turbo to the dpf is already big enough so filter back is all that is needed?

Reaction score
I was talking to the boys at NADP a while back about exhaust systems for my 07 LMM. They do have a DPF delete kit but then you need to run a programmer as well.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 dmax with a magnaflow 5'' downpipe back straight piped system it is for the 01-07 classic but fits the lmm and fits it well with the dpf removed you need to run a dpf delete tuner as well what i did was put a duramaxtuner.com pre tuned ecm w/5 stage chip and kept my factory ecu so if I have warranty issues I put the dpf back on and put in the factory computer. I have 50,000 on the truck so far and no check engine lights or problems at all. you it is quite a noticeable difference even on the optimized stock level wich is roughly 10 hp it is very nice improvemnet and made the fuel mileage jump up drasticly! dont go flo pro my buddies have them here and are having issues if your gonna do it run a magnaflow or mbrp system best quality forsure! go to Diesel Performance: Discount Truck Accessories & Performance Parts, Buy Chevy, GM, Dodge & Ford Truck Parts, Air Intake Filters & Exhaust Systems, Fuel Tanks, Mounts, Gauges & Injectors Online they are awesome guys to deal with and really know there stuff and real cheap prices. let me know if you need any more info like I said I'm running all this stuff on my truck so i can give you a honest answer on this and so far it is amazing with the dpf removed and if u want do the egr removal it really livens up these trucks

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i havent had a chance to contact actual distributors, was hoping to poke around and know a little bit before they try to shmoozle me into something ridiculous and expensive haha

heard about the programming before.. you need it to trick your sensors i do believe? as you plug them back into ports on the dpf delete..

wow thanks jared, thats awesome to hear. did you do your own install or had someone do it for you? and ya i was hoping to go magna or mbrp, want a black exhaust tip, if not entire exhaust.. Im gonna hafta look up the tuners, ecm etc that u listed off. plus check out the websites. egr removal? first iv heard of it, but something ill certainly consider as well

just hate to lose my motor and tranny warranty on the truck.. and not sure if having the stock ecm would save you or not, as they look at last torque output etc..

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 lmm and am running the mbrp DP (downpipe) back exhaust. Sounds amazing and really seems to wake the truck up.

Im running the edge race evo to clear all the codes and so far with 10 000km with the chip and exhaust i have had no issues. Come spring im going to do a trans jr shift kit to help the tranny a bit, as well as the egr blocker plate.

You will love the exhaust sound and the extra power and bit of fuel milage you get out of deleting the dpf. Only downside is loosing some of your powertrain warranty. But I imagine with a good dealer and anything shy of full engine failure or tranny failure you should be able to get it warrantied within reason if it is not due to the programmer.

You are right the dealer has to take a picture of the tech 2 readout and send it to gm before doing big warranty work on these engines and transmission. Im not sure if they need to do that for everthing or just internal failure?

All in All, once deleted you will never go back. :d

If you go read on dieselplace.com you can spend hours reading about dpf deletes and the no warranty issues.

Jared, do you have trouble if you need to put the dpf back on with the swapped ecm in terms of DPF regens in comparisons to km's regestered?

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can run any exhaust kit for a classic body style truck. I have a magnaflow kit for a 07 in my 08 and it bolted right in.

badsled

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can run any exhaust kit for a classic body style truck. I have a magnaflow kit for a 07 in my 08 and it bolted right in.

Your right the Magna flo for the classic style pickup bolts right on with no problems at all. Installed a 5" turbo back on my 08 Sierra crew, deleted the cat and dpf, the kit came with an edge cts tuner. Works great, havent had any issues, and definately improved the fuel milage. All for under $1200 bucks.

mega202

Reaction score
Your right the Magna flo for the classic style pickup bolts right on with no problems at all. Installed a 5" turbo back on my 08 Sierra crew, deleted the cat and dpf, the kit came with an edge cts tuner. Works great, havent had any issues, and definately improved the fuel milage. All for under $1200 bucks.

sorry for digging up an old thread, but where did you get all this for 1200$? thanks.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put some gay stacks on it and put on some white oakleys and be like the rest on hiway 63:d

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually white 6 is a girl and she is a cousin to my buddy but thanks hahaha

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 2010 lmm w/diamond eye 3.5'' downpipe right into a 5'' magnaflow turbo back exhaust system w/6'' welded tip the fit is amazing the sound is awesome and made quiet the difference in fuel mileage and power I've been selling this exhaust system for just under $1000 absolutely love it on the dmax nicest fitting system on the market for the dmax

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
76,000 km's on truck still no problems or codes with the dpf removed and loving it just had the truck dynoed it ran 497 and 976 at the rear wheels and that is on a stock trans!!! not sure how the the custom tuned ecms would work with a dpf delete! I would do the full egr delete pipe before the blocker plate it cleans up the engine bay really nicely plus the company alligator performance does custom powdercoating and it looks fantastic and the customer support is amazing!!! if your gonna run a tuner with the dpf delete I highly recommend EFI live by far the best tuner on the market as it actually tunes for mods that you have on the truck not like the others that just add power and smoke!!! smoke is cool but it's just unburnet fuel and can actually hurt the truck. I have a line on a guy who builds custom 5'' dual exhaust kits powdercoated any color you want for under $1000 as well and like I said it's 5'' not 4'' duals no one on market has a dual 5'' chevy exhaust i get mine all done off my magnaflow 5'' single in a few weeks cant wait i'll keep you all posted on it!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jared, do you have trouble if you need to put the dpf back on with the swapped ecm in terms of DPF regens in comparisons to km's regestered?[/QUOTE]

what I did was get a pre tuned ecm from duramaxtuner.com and kept my original non tuned ecm for warranty purposes but I havent had a warranty issue yet! but the ecm takes all of 5 minutes to switch in and out its nice and quick

Top Bottom