Duramax Cold Air Intake

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 04 Duramax with the LLY and was thinking if i should install a cold air intake...I have heard they do make a difference in power and fuel mileage.Any truth to this?
Which one is better K&N,Banks,AFE or others,how much should i expect to spend?..Thanks

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check into S&B best ones out there and almost half the price. really great filtration, AFE even uses S&B filters as an option. stay away fromi K&N in a diesel. yes intakes do help, but its best to do it with an exhaust and tuner to achieve the best power and economy. my 04.5 duramax with the mods i mentioned above gets roughly 800 KM per tank on the highway, compared to 600 before the mods. this is all according to the built in display, so i dont know what true numbers are, all i know it is better, and it will pay for itself with these fuel prices. i think the S&B kit is $269

assaultbear

Reaction score
Put S&B CAI on 05 GMC and works great, better power and fuel economy. Also Juice w/Attitude, DNA muffler with stock 3.5" exhaust less Cat.

grizzlydave

Reaction score
I have a S&B intake on my 07 lbz, It fit's poorly at best the intake tube hits the hood liner and the air box fit;s the engine bay poorly. From my experience
, I have found the volant intake seem to be one of the higher end set-up's. But I will definatly agree that K&n kits work poorly on all diesels. Just my two cents

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a S&B intake on my 07 lbz, It fit's poorly at best the intake tube hits the hood liner and the air box fit;s the engine bay poorly. From my experience
, I have found the volant intake seem to be one of the higher end set-up's. But I will definatly agree that K&n kits work poorly on all diesels. Just my two cents

Crazy, i know hundreds of guys running the S&B on the cumminsforum site, and not one issue. I too have a S&B on my cummins, and a AFE on my duramax. I didnt know about S&B back then. I agree the volant is nice, but a lot more pricy, and S&B have pretty much the best filtration, being one of the only ones who are ISO 5011

Last edited:

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check into S&B best ones out there and almost half the price. really great filtration, AFE even uses S&B filters as an option. stay away fromi K&N in a diesel. yes intakes do help, but its best to do it with an exhaust and tuner to achieve the best power and economy. my 04.5 duramax with the mods i mentioned above gets roughly 800 KM per tank on the highway, compared to 600 before the mods. this is all according to the built in display, so i dont know what true numbers are, all i know it is better, and it will pay for itself with these fuel prices. i think the S&B kit is $269

my truck is a 04.5 as well....By tuner you mean something like a bully dog?I have a Bully Dog called Triple Dog Power Pup Downloader it is good for 3 makes..
All u do is plug it in select the options make(Ford,Dodge,GMC),year ,tire size, then pick fuel economy,towing,performance,extreme...can't remember whatelse...after your done it uploads it to the truck and when done you unplug it..So it's not mounted anywhere and switch on the fly
Also where can a guy buy the S&B kit besides ebay or is it cheaper to get it off ebay?

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh, perfect, ya I know all about the bully dogg. I ran the PMT on my duramax.

check out james at rollin smoke diesel. he has everything you need. but with our dollar so good, i would recommend ebay, and avoid dealers, get it cheaper that way. but check rollin smoke diesel out

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just wanted to add a ppic of the Bully Dog i have,tell me if this is a good one or a waste...

Attachments

• bully dog.jpg
    bully dog.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 117
  • bully case.jpg
    bully case.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just wanted to add a ppic of the Bully Dog i have,tell me if this is a good one or a waste...

well when i was a noob to diesels, the bullydog was pushed on me, and coming from nothing it was great!! then when i gained some knowledge and switched to the cummins, bullydog really let me down. that being said, bullydog always could put some decent power down, my biggest downfall to them was their lack of customer support to the new diesel emission technology. for your application, the power pup will do just fine. just do yourself a favor and invest in the display they offer, or some aftermarket guages for EGT if you plan on doing some heavy towing.

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have u seen/heard of the "REDNECK" airbox mod for about $2..lol..?..i seen it on 1 site i was looking at and they said made a difference.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I've seen people cut holes in stock boxes and replace their oem filters. I prefer to spend the couple hundred and get a system that's proven. Bringing in warm air from your engine will actually decrease power and economy. The systems will bring in fresh cold denser air which is what you want

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an afe stage 2 w/proguard 7 filter I have ran this intake on almost all my diesel trucks! the only 2 intakes I would touch for the dmax are the afe intake and S&B intake by far the best kits on the market and they usually make a packege with a turbo mouth piece as well

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with the dmax the best combo is a diamond eye 4'' exhaust s&B intake w/either ppe programmer or efi live for a tuner this combo works awesome!

Top Bottom