Dumped deer carcasses point to poachers

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you know who they are....turn the fockers in!

Dumped deer carcasses point to poachers

Antlers ripped off heads, meat untouched

By Ben Gelinas, The Edmonton JournalApril 21, 2009 7:00

Edmonton Journal

Three deer carcasses were dumped on the weekend in Bonnie Doon, on the edge of Mill Creek Ravine.

Each appeared to be cut into sections, antlers ripped from their heads.

Fish and Wildlife officers say the bucks were likely poached. Hunting season ended in late December, but deer should have lost their antlers by now, leaving officers to wonder if these animals were killed some time ago. Regardless, those responsible face charges.

"It is illegal to spoil, abandon or destroy the edible portions of hunted animals," Fish and Wildlife spokesman Darcy Whiteside said Monday.

"Within the city it would be littering as well, oddly enough."

The carcasses were found on the grass just off the dead end of 92nd Avenue that runs along a school yard at 96th Street.

Nancy Rempel, president of the Bonnie Doon Community League, walked by the spot Friday night around 9 p.m. and saw nothing. The deer carcasses were found the next morning.

"The meat was rotting and the pelts were intact," a disgusted Rempel said. "Whoever did it was so lazy they didn't even bother to drag them into the ravine."

She said the dead-end on the edge of the ravine is the source of a lot of questionable activity. The lighting is poor there.

"Maybe some people think deer are a dime a dozen, but it's a life," Rempel said

"It's so incredibly disrespectful. Why would you kill and animal and then let it rot?"

Officers have collected DNA from the carcasses, but they say investigations rely heavily on public tips.

"Antlers can be sold in black markets or the individual could have just wanted them for themselves," Whiteside said. "Typically, we can have issues with people dumping carcasses close to city limits, but for three carcasses being dropped within the city? This is pretty rare."

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
This is happening out in the Stony Plain area as well, not just deer Moose as well.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Out here on the Island the shot Elk and sometimes they dont take anything,just fill them for no reason the sons of biotches,If you starvin and need to feed the family I could see it but to do it for nothin or just antlers is fckd up!:mad:

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man I should have proof read that,very bad spelling and grammer. they dont fill them they kill them.LOL

Wanderlust

Reaction score
This is the kind of crap that makes me wonder where the humanity is in the world.......imagine how often this happens, and noone knows about it..pisses me right off..........

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are low lifes and they either do it for they money or the thrill , they have been caught , charged and let go with very little consiquences , until the law changes to deal with these kinds of people it will keep happening , judges look at it and can't justify filling jails with these kinds of people , what makes me mad is that these people get referred to as hunters . all I know is what goes around comes around and the longer it takes to come around the harder its going to hit :nono::nono:

Top Bottom