Drug Testing Welfare

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had this sent to me, my first reaction was to wish this was in Canada, but read the articals and goggle the subject......If there is more drug free people appling then drug users and it winds up costing more, how effective is it.....It does keep the drug uses off welfare, so how many of them will get clean vs crime to suport thier habits, its an ugly truth .....not sure closing your eyes and hoping it will get better is the answer either....so what is the answer...

Welfare drug tests end up costing Florida $46,000

Drug Testing the Poor: Bad Policy, Even Worse Law | TIME.com

Attachments

• Smith.jpg
    Smith.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting, though $46k is less than a drop in the bucket. I don't think it's so much that we assume that most people on welfare use drugs or that we want to save money by getting them off welfare. It's about the principle that if you have money for frivolousness like drugs/alcohol/tobacco/body art then you have money to support yourself and get off the gov't teat.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good article, I've always thought Canada should have drug testing for the peeps on welfare. In my opinion it would work pretty good here.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Based on what I've heard proposed in Ontario, I don't think the idea is that you'd be refused welfare (at least initially) if you couldn't pass a drug test. However, should you show positive, I believe the plan is to send you for treatment in order to collect your cheque.

burgewx

Reaction score
If it was up to me - everyone collecting a cheque from the government would drug test , from the prime minister on down and they would pay for it themselves , then watch the Kaos

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it was up to me - everyone collecting a cheque from the government would drug test , from the prime minister on down and they would pay for it themselves , then watch the Kaos

Well then, I guess it's a good thing I never liked government work. ..."Zig Zagged" that bullet. :)

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why just the government? Why not everywhere?

As big brother as that sounds, I would agree....at our Industrial job sites they do "random drug & Alcohol tests" the % of tests they do are so low, yet they still have significant non-negative results......yes you don’t fail, you just get a non-negative result, and the choice is yours to retest immediately or take leave and re-schedule the test, your put into a paid taxi and sent home.....they just pussy foot around the subject so as not to offend and bring law suits...."Law suits from a person caught working under the influence"

Last edited:

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Why?? If they work for their cheques and pay their taxes and bills what do you care what hey spend their money on??

My problem is with those that are looking for a handout not a pay cheque.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Why?? If they work for their cheques and pay their taxes and bills what do you care what hey spend their money on??

I don't care what they spend there money on. I care about people being to work under the influence of alcohol, recreational drugs, some prescription drugs, etc. If it effects performance, worker safety, and sound decision making then I care and so should management!

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But they already have laws for that. No need to test every, one if a person is an addict they will show it themselves and be weeded out but if they like a left hander on sat night and are ready to work monday morning who cares.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would cost the tax payers even more here in canada because if we were to give drug tests to welfare, the ones who failed would then need rehabilation and you can guess who will be paying for that.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting, though $46k is less than a drop in the bucket. I don't think it's so much that we assume that most people on welfare use drugs or that we want to save money by getting them off welfare. It's about the principle that if you have money for frivolousness like drugs/alcohol/tobacco/body art then you have money to support yourself and get off the gov't teat.
Less than 3% of the people tested failed. Stupid waste of money.

Top Bottom